Info on Mercator fixed blade

skasdi1

Hi All,
Just joined and apologies if this is posted in the wrong place, I could not find a Mercator section to post in.
I am seeking help/getting more info on a knife that was given to me by a friend.
I have done Google searching till I am blue in the face and can't find any information on Mercator fixed blade knives. Tons of info on the Lockback.
The knife overall is 9 5/8" long with a blade of 4 7/8". It came in a Western Cutlery sheath that fits perfectly but highly doubt it was the original sheath.
On one side of the knife it has the Mercator logo with K55K, on the other is Solingen Germany. Does anyone know anyinformation on this knife? Anything would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

five.jpgfour.jpgone.jpgsix.jpgthree.jpgtwo.jpg

This is what I was able to find via a quick google search:

[FONT=open_sansregular]Mercator Knives. Its most popular model, Mercator K55K, added great relevance in the name of Mercator Knives. Founded by Heinrich Kauffmann, the production of Mercator Knives was on its peak during 1856 to 1995. However, these knives are currently manufactured by Otter-Messer. Mercator Knives can be identified by their black paint and feature an engraved outline of a cat leaping.[/FONT]

Not sure exactly what information you're looking for besides that. As it's a factory knife, I doubt you'll ever be able to track down the exact steel type used, because factories almost never stick with one specific steel type....it's generally either what's the cheapest that will do the job, at the time or purchase, or on more modern knives, it tends to be "favor of the month" steel. It's obvious from the photos that the hardware is alumium, and the handle is stacked leather. With the condition of the blade, it's value as a collectible would be minimal.

On another forum I am a member of no one had ever saw a Mercator fixed blade knife. I hadn't either until I came across this one. So just looking for info on the fixed blade.

Other than Wikipedia ... there appears to be very little information on the "fixed blade" style that you pictured of a Mercator knife. There is a ton of stuff about their "folding style" knife.

Here is the Wikipedia link.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercator_K55K

Here is a link showing how they make the folding style. Pretty interesting.

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...EAD8A603FEAA8D6A43AAEAD8A603FEAA8D6&FORM=VIRE

As you posted in your other forum... I think your best bet is contact the company directly about the "fixed blade" style. there just does not seem to be a lot of information on the internet about the knife you pictured.

DeMo

I had the same luck, almost no info at all. Thank you for the links and info. I will send the company an email and see what I can find out.

I actually already shot them an email and they told me they only answered questions about the Otter knives. but thanks again.

Back