Grain direction on O-1 and A-2?

True cross-rolling is where the rolled piece is rotated 90 degrees after each pass thru the rollers. this is from Langley Alloys:

With the basic hot rolling process as detailed above, it is found that plates have a very strong directional grain flow which can lead to down stream difficulties in cutting and fabrication. This is due to the resulting differential characteristics of the properties and structure with in the plate. Cross Rolling, where the plate is repeatedly turned by 90 deg. through its production rolling program giving plates a greater uniform microstructure and homogeneous properties both in the longitudinal to transverse directions across the plate.
crossrolling.gif

as said, the idea is reduce any effects of 'grain'. I have only seen the term when looking at tool steels, although you can probably find any metal cross rolled. i think what we see and call 'Grain' is the finish left after the steel was ground to thickness, especially when you buy "Precision Ground Flat Stock". I guess the steel is rotated during grinding to help achieve advertised thickness of */- 0.001.

If somebody was cross rolling a slab every other pass they would need a rolling mill several hundred feed wide. Look at the picture, the width of the cross roll has to be twice as long as the previous longitudinal pass. The backup rolls would weigh several million pounds. This is either fantasy or something someone is doing in a lab on very small pieces. Either way I don't think it has any application to steel making in general or knife making.

Or you could move the rollers rather than the ingot?

Regardless of whether our individual logic can wrestle the details to the ground....they are indeed doing it.

I still have a hard time believing the SR-71 was built in the 60s.....

Last edited:
Missa Moran, think what you wish, cross rolling is being done in US, Europe and Asia. Cross rolled is usually tool steel or a speciality steel. the finished sheet or slab is typically 15 foot square or less. Bestar makes cross-rolled O1, O2, O7, and 440C. Bohler-Uddeholm makes:" BOHLER M390 MICROCLEAN, BOHLER N695, and UDDEHOLM ELMAX SUPERCLEAN are powder metallurgical steel. BOHLER N690 and BOHLER N680 are conventionally produced steel. All are made using our unique cross-rolling technology, which provides an exceptional homogeneous sheet"

Last edited:
If somebody was cross rolling a slab every other pass they would need a rolling mill several hundred feed wide. Look at the picture, the width of the cross roll has to be twice as long as the previous longitudinal pass. The backup rolls would weigh several million pounds. This is either fantasy or something someone is doing in a lab on very small pieces. Either way I don't think it has any application to steel making in general or knife making.

The plates are cut into squares first.

Back