Joining a sanding belt

C Craft

Has anyone ever attempted to join a sanding belt the split at the factory splice, and if so how????

I was hogging a piece today and let the belt snatch it out of my hand and ram it in between the table I have at the bottom of my platen, and it broke the belt at the factory seam. What I hate the worst is it was almost a brand new belt!!! Yeah, I know I shouldn't have been leaning on it so hard!! What is the old saying hindsight is 20/20.

So I was thinking of mixing up some epoxy and put a backing on the belt and rejoining the factory seam.

Soooooooooo I was just wondering if its been done and how did you do it, and what did you use to back the splice?? Anyone?

Last edited:
Don't do it. The cost of a belt isn't worth the high risk involved. Just trash it, chalk it up to experience, and move to a new/another belt.

I've had new belt's break on me and saved them, I have one that's probably three years old. I don't want to throw them out yet I don't have any use for them broken.
I've tried to think of a way to get them back together but I always think..." that's a good way to shoot your eye out".
Having a factory belt snap while running is un-nerving enough as it is, having a belt running that I "fixed" and thinking in the back of my mind it could let loose any second keeps me from attempting it.
I'd like to hear if anyone has done this with success and how they did it.

don't do it! all the epoxy i know of wouldn't be nearly flexible enough to go around the wheels repeatedly. especially at 3800 feet / min !

another way to look at it is a good learning lesson. I've had many of them

Erik

Yeah, I agree, from the moment the thought popped into my mind, its been guy in white sitting on one shoulder, saying no way don't try it! And the guy in red sitting on the other shoulder going, aw come on go for it!

I would love to know how they do that at the factory!! Oh well I guess I have some new belt for sanding contours by hand! Although I figure 40 grit may be a little rough for that! LOL

Even if I got it the belt to run, it would be like waiting for the moment that,...................... it fails! :s7435:

I've done it, successfully, with a tape called zip tape. Not sure where to buy it, my brother gave me a roll. It is the most amazing tape I've ever used. I even patched a pool liner with it 2 years ago, still holding. I made some of my own 4x36 belts once and they held up fine for woodworking use. I can try to find more info it if you want.

Anthony, after repair, how did the belt preform?? Did you treat like any other belt, you know use and abuse when necessary?? You got my interest now!!!

The guy in the red suit sitting on my shoulder is beginning to laugh right about now!!! Blaaaaha!

OK I googled zip tape and this came up! Is this what you are talking about???

https://sweets.construction.com/Man.../ZIP-System--Roof---Wall-Sheathing-NST55062-P
This stuff came out to the construction field after I got hurt and had to have surgery. So I have never used it!

Yes! Exactly, my brother works for that company! I got a big roll of belt material at an auction once and I cut a used 4x36 at the seam for a template. Made about 10 belts and none of them ever came apart. This was pre-knife hobby so not sure how it would do on a 2x72, but I'm inclined to think it would work just fine.

I tried that packing tape with the cord in it, out of curiosity held at like medium speeds. Not something I would depend on.

You know been giving this some more thought, you know the little guy in the white suit on one shoulder and the little red guy on the other shoulder thing.

Maybe my cahoonas aren't as big as I'd like to think, or perhaps I am just getting old and I know what pain is! I figure even if I was to splice this back again and it runs. I am not sure if I could stand behind and grind without constantly flinching! I have seen what a belt can do when the explode. I did carpenter work for years and have had belts on a 4x24 belt sander explode. I have broken some on the 2x72 grinder but have usually got most of the good out of them and one of them got my hand, and arm. Mostly just some skin and a little blood!

So I am gonna just chalk this one up to experience and keep on keeping on. It's kind of like when my children were growing up and as teens I would tell them. You know I raised you all to do the right thing, so if you find yourself in a situation where you here that little voice saying, "don't do this"! Well that is time to walk away and follow the little voice.

So thanks to all on the info and advice but, I am gonna follow that little voice inside of me that says, don't do this, and walk away!!! Besides I am ugly enough without a belt wrapping around my head!!:biggrin:

I bought the zip tape. Experimenting with different types of material. Some golf better than others. I am only trying it on a 1x12 belt used for the Ken Onion tool. The longer I leave the zip tape on the better it works. $25 a roll.... Yikes! I hope I figure it out soon ha

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Back