Kevin Cashen to be featured on "A Craftsman's Legacy"

Thanks Tracy....neat article! I'm sure Kevin will be as interesting on film as his articles on the Forum are.

I love how every picture they show of Kevin he has a look on his face like a kid in a candy store. He has a such a love for all things metal, and he loves to share his knowledge. He's so excited to share his craft. He is a true blessing to the craft! Unfortunately it doesn't appear that this show airs in my area. :(

I love how every picture they show of Kevin he has a look on his face like a kid in a candy store. He has a such a love for all things metal, and he loves to share his knowledge. He's so excited to share his craft. He is a true blessing to the craft! Unfortunately it doesn't appear that this show airs in my area. :(

These usually get posted to Youtube so you should be able to catch it.

It's no secret Kevin knows a thing or two about a lot of things.

He is going to be featured on the PBS show A Craftsman's Legacy.

The link is here. I couldn't figure out how to embed the video teaser they have posted. Set your DVR's.

http://www.sentinel-standard.com/news/20170120/local-swordsmith-to-be-featured-on-pbs

Nice to see Kevin. I'm looking forward to seeing this.
t

Thank you very much for posting this Tracy because I myself was not aware of the video until reading your post. My browsers also would not play it but after reading your post I got one to work.

Here is the statement I have been sharing regarding the experience:

A positive television experience.

I think I have finally recovered from an exhausting week at Matherton Forge that involved lights, cameras, microphones and a whole crew of dedicated professionals squeezing into my little shop. I have had my share of experiences with television productions, and seldom has it been what I would describe as entirely positive. Bladesmithing is just one of those topics that is real easy to push over the top into a circus like atmosphere that can make entertaining television but still not elevate the craft. I am happy to say that this week I think I encountered a television crew that truly respected my craft and was interested in bringing it to the public in a dignified and educational way.

It was great to be surrounded by professionals who seemed to be as dedicated to doing their best work as I am, and have no problem doing it again until it is just right. So much so that by the second day of shooting, I was actually able to let my guard down and even have fun for the first time when dealing with a film crew.

.... I just wanted to say that while I have been critical of television that I have been involved with in the past, this time around I am optimistic that what will air later this year will bring our craft to the public in a positive and educational way. I think that can be good news to all of us, and I will keep you updated.

Last edited:
Kevin - I'm sure we're ALL looking forward to this program - I KNOW I'm looking forward to it. So far, I've not been able to find the viewing date, nor the DirecTV channel it's to be shown on. Anybody find the date, be sure to let us know.

Ken H>

That's very cool indeed. Couple of Michigan men bringing the craft to a wider audience.

I watch the show regularly. It's on our local PBS station. Which makes sense because the host is local. His shop is about 1/2 from my house.

He also carries a pocket knife clipped into his front pocket, which makes him ok in my book.

Back