New smith

maddawg89

Hi all.

Reed here from Alabama. New to the game. By new I mean brand new! Just cruising to learn more about a trade that has interested me for years. I'm in the process of making my own forge and gathering tools.

I have an idea for some 6in channel and some old fire brick from a fireplace we replaced. I want to lay the channel up in a V, weld r legs on it, cut a hole in the center for my blower pipe, then lay the fire brick on the sides of the V to complete the edge. This would give a small channel under. The brick plus a thin line for the forced air from the blower to travel to the fire bed.

My blower is a blower unit from a small shop heater that looks like a small, 4in electric turbo charger. There is no speed control so I thought of using a baffle to control the air flow.

Any thoughts on this design?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Welcome to Knifedogs!

I can't say I exactly follow, nor can I picture in my mind exactly what you're building. The common thought pattern among those who are just starting out is to get by as cheaply as possible, and I completely understand that mindset, however, it often times doesn't turn out so well. My advice would be to take a look around the web at BLADESMITHING forges, and glean information on what works and what doesn't. That alone can save you a lot of grief. There's much more to a decent bladesmithing forge then just getting the steel hot. Even heat, and adjustability are very important.

When it comes to propane forges, sizing of the components plays a crucial role in how well, or how poorly a forge will work. There's a learning curve involved in this type of endeavor, so if the first one isn't successful, don't give up! :)

Welcome Reed.

you might fill out your profile a bit better and someone in your area might chime in and help you out. There is nothing like a little hands on to help out with the learning curve.

as for the forge, you might be carful about useing the bring from the fireplace. The heat we work at is up pretty high and reads havoc on brick. Lower temp brick can start breaking down if you push them.

Erik

Welcome to Knifedogs!

I can't say I exactly follow, nor can I picture in my mind exactly what you're building. The common thought pattern among those who are just starting out is to get by as cheaply as possible, and I completely understand that mindset, however, it often times doesn't turn out so well. My advice would be to take a look around the web at BLADESMITHING forges, and glean information on what works and what doesn't. That alone can save you a lot of grief. There's much more to a decent bladesmithing forge then just getting the steel hot. Even heat, and adjustability are very important.

When it comes to propane forges, sizing of the components plays a crucial role in how well, or how poorly a forge will work. There's a learning curve involved in this type of endeavor, so if the first one isn't successful, don't give up! :)
Hi guys! Thanks for the input!

This forge is similar to what I was planning for mine.

I will update my info ASAP. I only have Tapatalk on my phone at the present.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Back