new knifemaker

wthunter01

Hello from southeast Texas. I'm about four months into the knife making world and I'm hooked. I built myself a coal forge and it turned out pretty good. so far I have produced two knives first one was a total disaster, second one was 200% better but still a long way to go. working on number three and learning from my mistakes. having trouble with material selection (picking from scrap pile before spending money on good material) first two were old files now working on lawn mower blades. any suggestions on this?

Welcome, leaf springs from the old 60s an earlier cars and trucks should be decent steel if not 1075 1095 old mill saw blades with the teeth cut in the blade are high carbon steel.
Old chain saw bars should be L6 steel. Mill band saw blades usually are 15n20 and can be made into a knife but is softer so doesn't hold an edge for very long. So is better to use when making damascus.
Planer blades are D2 usually and are AIR HARDENING they can be forged and then set on the anvil to cool in the still air.
They will be extremely brittle till tempered.
Many others on here may have better advice on practice steels. These are just the ones I have been told about.

Back