Profitability check

How does that rate compare to an hour spent elsewhere for YOU?

Usually makes me wanna gnash my teeth and start saying "Hi Folks! Welcome to Walmart!" :) But I wouldn't trade it for anything! :)

Usually makes me wanna gnash my teeth and start saying "Hi Folks! Welcome to Walmart!" :) But I wouldn't trade it for anything! :)
Irrespective of the number, if you wouldn't trade it for anything you're probably spending your time wisely.

If everyone else was being intellectual honest with themselves about their implied hourly rate and their answers to the questions, they would be able to make the best decisions for themselves.

Glad you came to that conclusion Ed, because while I don't know your numbers nor am I asking, you need to stay in the game!

I suspect that just about everyone, at least from time to time, are in a place where they wish they were "doin better" from a money aspect, but I've always been one who's pretty happy if he can "keep the wolf from the door", food on the table, and the bills paid. I see people who are more "well to do" then I am, pretty much everyday, who literally hate what they do for a living, where as I, am still excited to get to go to the shop every day... and consider myself pretty lucky to be able to do so. I did have to pay my dues... 22 year 6 months in the military, with the last 10 of those spent thinking..... "If I just stick it out, I MIGHT just be able to be a full time knifemaker some day." The other part of my equation is that I have a WONDERFUL Wife, who has a good job, and allows me to do what I do. :) I think a lot of folks miss that part.....sometimes you gotta do what you HAVE to do, in order to be able to do what you WANT to do.

"If everyone else was being intellectual honest with themselves about their implied hourly rate and their answers to the questions, they would be able to make the best decisions for themselves."

This was exactly why I started this thread. It can be painful to address the financial aspect of a trade that brings so much personal fulfillment and adds so much to a culture that loves quality handmade items. Each guy has to decide what works for him and his family. After reading all these posts and thinking about the future, I can only pursue semi-custom limited production knives. Somewhat fulfilling but nowhere near as much as the one off custom works of art you guys routinely make. If I keep my nose to the grindstone eventually I will free up time to work on the one off stuff...

meanwhile back at the ranch....My main customer just told me on Friday that the polycarbonate military drone parts we have been producing for 8 years via machining has just been replaced by a mold.:what!: (with no prior warning for him...very poor professional etiquette) That has been about 90% of my income for 8 yrs. Perhaps the starving artist experience is in the near future....

I have about 6 weeks of work left...a half reorganized shop to finish...a wife healing up from a serious foot injury (not walking for 8 months..)and just finished paying tuition for my oldest son's first year in college.....but no pressure:31:...Lol.

The upside is that 5 years ago I paid off my building and business and have not bought silly stuff on credit since I learned my lesson years ago...lol.

Any of you gents that pray...keep me in mind please.

I did have to pay my dues... 22 year 6 months in the military, with the last 10 of those spent thinking..... "If I just stick it out, I MIGHT just be able to be a full time knifemaker some day." The other part of my equation is that I have a WONDERFUL Wife, who has a good job, and allows me to do what I do. :) I think a lot of folks miss that part.....sometimes you gotta do what you HAVE to do, in order to be able to do what you WANT to do.

Thank you for your service. I am retired military also, the pension check is not all that much but it helps, and not having to worry about healthcare( my knee replacement cost $35 out of my pocket) is really big. I was not ready to retire from private sector (forced by knee replacement), but you do what needs to be done. I am making enough from knives to pay for materials to make more. Maybe someday I will make more $$, but as you said, I am doing what I want to do and I enjoy it.

Back