NWGS 2X72 to 2X60

ostrick

Hello folks,
I have more than a few 2x60 belts and would like to mod the NWGS 2X72 plans (which I have purchased) to run these belts.
Any thoughts? Two grinders are not an option.
Thanks

Last edited:
I suspect that you MIGHT be able to use the belts with specific attachments such as "small wheels", but since the grinder was designed for 72" belts, usage on that machine is going to be limited. The most logical "first thing" to try is a shortened tooling arm. Again, that's only going to work (if at all) for small attachments, or others that don't have a lot of belt contact on them. Even then, it's likely there will be tracking issues.... again, you're trying to run a belt that is 12" shorter then the machine was designed for.

I seriously doubt you'll be able to use the 60" belts with a platen or 6"+ contact wheels without a total redesign/rebuild of the machine. If you're up for that, then it's just a matter of "shrinking" the distances from drive wheel, to idler wheel, to attachment wheels/platen.

My original thought was because the 60" belt is roughly 17% smaller that I could reduce platen size and lower tracking wheel height by that amount. I'm not sure it could be that simple.

Having built a number of grinders, I can tell you it's not that simple. :) You pretty much have to "move" all the wheels in order to maintain the "geometry" of the belt when it's in place on the machine. What I found to be the biggest issue with only moving the attachment or the attachment and the idler wheel is that.... as the angle of the belt flattens between the tracking/idler wheel, and the attachment (the angle where the belt comes off the idler wheel and goes to the top of the attachment) the more erratic tracking becomes. If you think about it, this makes perfect sense.... as you flatten out that angle, there's less and less belt contact with the tracking/idler wheel. Since the flat platen is generally the "longest" attachment used, this issue manifests itself the most with it (the platen).
I think you can make it work, but it always seems there are other "bugs" that show up in the process.... that must be worked out to achieve full functionality.

The current geometry of the NWG is probably not going to allow a full size (8" or larger) using a 60" belt. You should be able to use a 4" or smaller wheel I think or you could change up the geometry a bit to accommodate an 8". I've never tried using a 60" but I've built a few of them so it's just an observational guess.

I have decided to build as per plans. I know the benefits of the 2x72 and I don't want to waste time with a trial and error method of doing the modification.
So guess I better get some belts on the way.
Thank you guys for helping me make the jump:)

I have decided to build as per plans. I know the benefits of the 2x72 and I don't want to waste time with a trial and error method of doing the modification.
So guess I better get some belts on the way.
Thank you guys for helping me make the jump:)

Good idea. On the bright side, if you still have the 60" belts lying around, you'll still be able to try them on the built to spec machine. If they work, great. If not.... oh well. I do agree that a smaller wheel should work regardless.

Back