Make your own sheath or send it out?

Ted that sheath looks good. I have gone a different direction with sheaths. My Dad makes them for me. This leaves me more time to work on knives.

He is looking at retirement soon and wants things to do. I pay him $40 for every sheath (it's not enough but he won't take any more.) The problem is I think his sheath making ability is surpassing my knife making skills. Here is his last one.

IMG_0112.jpg

Wow...that is a cool design and very clean work. This first sheath took me 4hrs and I was fumbling a bit...I know with practice that I can get it down a bit. But a sheath is still a larger percentage of cost of the knife than any of us want to think about...lol. His sheath making will push your knife making...and that's a good thing. I think your knives are very clean and beautiful...but that's also what I personally strive for. I'm always suspicious of even very high end knives that have all kinds of liners and materials and inlays....I love the look but each of those seams is a potential "joint" or separation spot...For now I won't be tackling stuff like that.

Ted that sheath looks good. I have gone a different direction with sheaths. My Dad makes them for me. This leaves me more time to work on knives.

He is looking at retirement soon and wants things to do. I pay him $40 for every sheath (it's not enough but he won't take any more.) The problem is I think his sheath making ability is surpassing my knife making skills. Here is his last one.

View attachment 60664

That's a pretty good idea on boot leather. Those color choices cove a lot of ground also. The molded veg tanned leather is easy to work around the back of the blade and handle till the knife "clicks" in and out of place nicely. I guess you could easily do the same with a kydex insert?

Looks good holds the knife in place your good to go.
I make my own sheaths also so I can say I made this and also to try and be artsy fartsy with the color flow between handle and sheath.
But I did the cheap thing and bought scrap boot leather that is double tanned. Still it is boot leather and you are stuck with the color it is and there are 3 colors the boot maker had, black,brown, and red brown.
I took a wise ones advice a while ago and use a barrier between the leather and the blade that doubles as a retaining system, kydex insert. I know it is extra work and if I molded veg tanned leather to the knife it would hold it in place just as well.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

I make my own. I feel like a knife isn't complete until it has a sheath. Even when I start doing kitchen knives I plan on making a saya for them. I haven't done any kydex yet, but love the look of a well made leather sheath.

I make my own. I feel like a knife isn't complete until it has a sheath. Even when I start doing kitchen knives I plan on making a saya for them. I haven't done any kydex yet, but love the look of a well made leather sheath.

I agree...how can you call any fixed blade knife an EDC without a sheath? I can overlook no sheath on a kitchen knife though....

i supply a kydex blade cover with each of my kitchen knives. It makes shipping way easier for me and then the customer has something to make the blade safe if they want to send it back for sharpening. Or in the case of my mother, at least she doesn't have a razor sharp knife tossed in a drawer, which is exactly what she'd do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Or in the case of my mother, at least she doesn't have a razor sharp knife tossed in a drawer, which is exactly what she'd do."

Good point! (no pun intended)

Back