What adhesives do you use for laminated handles??

ACLakey

I love the laminated knife scales similar to how Fiddleback Forge and Osprey Knife and Tool look. I have tried several different adhesives for laminating handle materials, mostly micarta and wood with liners, but have not been really happy with the results. Currently I have been using a slow cure flexible epoxy but with cure times and multiple steps it takes days to get the scales made up. What adhesives do you use to laminate handle scales? I saw in a video(can't find it now) of a well established knife manufacture that uses an adhesive in a large bottle resembling a "super glue" shape. Any information or advice would be appreciated.

I use Loctite Go2 Glue. It's like a rubberized superglue. It isn't the strongest glue I've ever used, but it seems to be very flexible and have good holding power. If I use liners, I never use pins. I only use Corby's or Loveless screws. Make sure when you drill holes for fasteners you don't drill the shoulder all the way to the liner. This will make sure the scale holds the liner in place.
download (3).jpg

I use a high grade of cyano-acrylate, (super glue) EZ- Bond is the brand I use, (I carry it in my store) It works very well for me.

Back