First Knife Completed

Randy Lucius

It's been a long road. Started without any equipment and slowly acquired what I needed. Built a No-Weld Grinder using Boss Dog's plans. Bought a Bubble Jig to learn freehand grinding that really helped. Grinding freehand now without the Jig. Thanks to a lot of people on this forum that freely share their knowledge an impossible task has been made manageable. Hope I can some day return the favor.

Small skinning knife for my son.
c_0002.jpg
c_0003.jpg
c_0004.jpg
c_0006.jpg
c_0007.jpg
c_0001.jpg
Length 6.5 inches
Blade Cutting Length 2.75 inches
Purpleheart and Ebony
White G10 Liner
Nickel Silver and Bone spacers
Nickel Silver Pins and Thong tube

It has a lot of flaws but I learned a lot to use on the next knife. Thanks again to the forum for all the help!

Last edited:
Could you send me some info on the bubble jig that helps you learn to grind freehand. I would like a web site that explains how to use it and where to buy it so on. I always thought the two where exclusive. Email is Martin 238 at me dot com. Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice first knife. You can tell you took your time and put a lot of energy into it. Looking forward to seeing more.

excellent first knife! Super ambitious handle for a first knife as well. Great great job.

Thanks John. If I had it to do over again I would have done a more simple handle. But it's what my son asked for so I thought I'd give it a try. The next one is for myself and it will be much simpler.:biggrin:

Nice first knife. You can tell you took your time and put a lot of energy into it. Looking forward to seeing more.

Thanks TY. I have a few more profiled out and another almost ready to heat treat. I'll try to post some pics when I get them done

Completed my first knife in January. Started working on some more.

0003.jpg

The second knife.
0002.jpg

I messed up on the handle for #2 too short. Took it off and changed to this.

0012.jpg

0013.jpg

0009.jpg

0004.jpg

0005.jpg

0011.jpg

The latest. It was only sanded to 220 in this pic. Went to 1000 grit and buffed. Turned out ok.
I'll try to post some more pics of it later.

0007.jpg

I try to learn something new with each knife. A new technique, material or feature.
On the last knife I tried a hidden lanyard tube. Worked out ok I think.

0014.jpg

As I'm getting more comfortable I'm moving up to my more expensive handle materials.
Have some nice KOA and burls that I'm eager to work with. Thanks for all the help!!!

Back