Handle question

dan van

I have recently received a fixed blade knife. The end of the handle is like a two pronged fork. I plan to make a stacked leather handle but am not sure how to cap the end. Any suggestions ? Thanks, Dan

Hi Steve, I have attached a partial photo of the knife, I hope this clarifies my earlier question. Thank You, DanForked Tang.jpg

What about something like this?

df016db1dbfb5476e61dbcf9b2491371.jpg

This a picture from Mike Carters no weld butt cap thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jay, Thanks for the info. This looks like a good idea but my guard would have a hole that I could not cover, if I ground all the threads flat then there would be a hole on the end cap fitting. Maybe if the threaded rod could be removed and replaced then I might have a solution. Dan

Jay, Thanks for the info. This looks like a good idea but my guard would have a hole that I could not cover, if I ground all the threads flat then there would be a hole on the end cap fitting. Maybe if the threaded rod could be removed and replaced then I might have a solution. Dan
Dan, if you make a butt cap that has either a threaded portion or an insert/nut there would be a solid brass looking cap, when it in turn has the threads to tighten up.
A thick piece of flat brass that has a hole drilled a size smaller than the tap, then tap the threads for your threaded piece into it. Then tighten like a nut after applying a bab of epoxy or thread locker to the threads.

From what I have gleaned from the post of stick and through tangs that is how it should work.

Not to be rude in the slightest bit, the guard is already affixed to the blade with hole in it for it to slide up the tang. The missing piece is at the pommel or butt of your knife.

Last edited:
Walt, Thanks for walking me thru this. I was being a bit dense and wasn't thinking of a blind hole in the but cap. Thanks, Dan

Hi Dan, you already have a pretty good answer to your question, here's a little more. If I'm not mistaken the blade blank you have was intended to have two holes in the butt cap that the two tangs in your "fork" would go through with 1/16 inch or so extending through the holes. You would then peen the tang ends to captivate the butt cap. It's a more "old timey" method of attaching the butt cap. Have fun.

Hi Mark, As soon as it warms up a bit here I plan to spend more time in my (uninsulated) shop to work on knives. I have 2 knives, I might try one of each way. Thanks, Dan

Hey Dan, sorry for the late reply. I'd seen both recommended methods done previously and they both look great and function well. There's a great group of guys here. I've done the threaded tang to the pommel with great success myself. The only other thing I could think of would be to have a threaded piece welded to the butt end which would allow for the pommel to thread on there as well.

Back