Respirator recommendations

coachcampana

I've been using a 3m respirator for a while. Last night I used a cut off wheel, outside, to cut some kitchen knives out of a sheet of steel. I wore all my eye and breathing protection. But later that night I still had black crap coming out of my nose.
I obviously need better protection. What would you veterans recommend? I'd like to not be killing myself while making blades.

Thanks!

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

are you sure you are wearing the right size for a correct fit?

I've been using a 3M 7502 for a long time now and it works very well. So well that when I crack the seal I can smell 100 things instantly that I was totally unaware of before I broke the seal. I paid about 60 bucks at Grainger but Amazon has them for half of that.

https://www.amazon.com/3M-Professio...76275&sr=8-7&keywords=3m+half+face+respirator

For filters, I like the P100 pancake filters. They fit under my face shield with no problem.

https://www.amazon.com/Tekk-Particu...76471&sr=8-8&keywords=3m+half+face+respirator

That's the one I have. It is the right size and I replace the filters often. Maybe my dust is extra crappy.....

The 7500 series is the one I use too. After having my first lung surgery, I had 9 weeks of recovery time to research respirators.... and it's the one I chose. If you have ANY facial hair, that is a big factor in how well any mask will work! Personally, I had to go with the large size (7503) to get a decent seal.

I'm not sure if there is anything out there, short of a rebreather and a clean shaven face that will get you a 100% seal..... but I do know that different people have different levels of success, with different respirators. If you're seeing those "black lines" near your nostrils, or blowin out "black boogers", then something isn't working right. One things have have learned is that the masks that provide the best protection are always those with the softest, most flexible face pieces..... rather then the "hard" plastic variety that you find for sale in most hardware/home improvement stores.

For us as knifemakers, we have to find that balance of protection, comfort, and usability.....which is generally a bit different for each person, but is an absolute necessity.

Coach, i wonder if you might be losing your seal along the way as you sweat and the facepiece slips around? I discovered I was breaking my seal with my glasses. I started wearing glasses to grind and it's darn near impossible to get the bifocals to line up right for long because my respirator pushes them up off my face while I'm grinding. I'd shove the glasses back down and it would break my seal. I know when I've done it because all of a sudden I can smell and taste metal.

I've gotten into the habit of checking my seal when I put my glasses on. I use the method Uncle Sam taught me for checking my gas mask. Cover the filter inlets and suck. If I get air then obviously something isn't sitting right. On top of the glasses issue I have chipmunk cheeks and it took some fiddling to get the right combination of strap tension to get a good seal and comfort at the same time.

You ain't got a beard have you??

I haven't found one that works well with a beard!! The best I can do is too trim it up S H O R T to get a seal and when I can begin to taste and smell steel well if I ain't at a point where I don't need a respirator, it is back to the sink again!!

Has anyone tried a Hobby Air system?

https://www.amazon.com/Hobbyair-Half-Facemask-40-Hose/dp/B00VGWQ48I

They are expensive, years ago I went in with 2 other guys who had large painting projects. We sold it for what we paid when our projects were done. Worked great having cool forced air being pushed into the mask. The hose was connected to a belt so it would not pull the mask off your face if it go hung up.

Another option is the Miller mask

https://www.amazon.com/GVS-Elipse-S...483450858&sr=8-2&keywords=welding+filter+mask

I used one of these for about a year with good results, but then the elastic bands started breaking down and leaving oily back stuff on my head. That may have been caused by acid fumes when I was etching.

Well, if you're interested, here's a link to my homemade supplied air respirator. It might appear a little silly, but it does work awesome. I can grind bone or horn and can't even smell it until I take the mask off. I've had a beard of one sort or another since leaving the Marines in '95 and I've always had trouble with conventional respirators.

[video=youtube;TvPVGRsYWXw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvPVGRsYWXw[/video]

using a CPAP for a supplied air mask is genius.

Does anyone use one of those snorkel deals where you bite on a mouthpiece and the filters stick back behind your head? It seems like a really good idea so long as you use the nosepiece to keep your nostrils shut. I think I recall that Laurence (Rhino Knives) sold them.

Thanks for all the replies. It was facial hair I think. I shaved and I haven't had an issue.

Back