Kitchen Knives

Walt2

I am looking for some opinions from some of you who make kitchen type knives. I have made quite a few chef type ones from 52100 by stock removal in the past. I am wondering about 52100 vs D2. Any comments pro or con about D2 as an option?

Oh....you're gona love me. :) My opinion of any D2 blade is..... it takes a terrible edge, and holds it forever. :) Finishing it is like trying to polish something that came out the south end of a north bound dog. :) Most folks who purchase a D2 blade have difficulty resharpening it..... where as those who purchase 52100 blades like how easily they can resharpen the blades.

Of course D2 is gona be *more* stain resistant then 52100(relatively speaking), but that's about the only positive thing I can say about that particular steel.

No offense to anyone who likes that steel for blades.....but no, I don't care for it at all. :biggrin:

Last edited:
Ed loves D2 for blades as we can tell. Lol
I can vouch for the edge being jagged and stays for a long time from playing make KSO out of D2 planer blades. As far as 52100 goes I have yet to finish the blades I have in the works.

52100 vs D2 is almost an apples vs oranges situation. 52100 is a low alloy steel that can achieve very high hardness(Rc66-67), very fine grain, and a simple heat treat(even with normalization, should be less than an hour to start first temper cycle, cyro not necessary). D2 was formulated to produce large amounts of carbides that will make sharpening and polishing a pita. heat treat takes longer and should include cryo for best performance.

Back