• Ed Caffrey

Votes: 22 68.8%
  • Kevin Cashen

Votes: 10 31.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Brad Lilly

Moderator and Awards Boss
We are looking for a member who was instrumental in educating other members here on knifedogs.

This member should personify a willingness to help others and share their knowledge in an unselfish manner.

Photos not required.

I would like to nominate Ed Caffery. He is usually the first one to offer help to anyone that has a question. When I am struggling with something and use the search function, his answers are generally some where in the thread. On top of that he will take the time out of his busy schedule to talk with you on the phone, and help anyway he can.

I second the nomination of Ed, but would also like to add someone else to the list. While not a seasoned old timer, he is always quick to help and engage in the conversation, so I'd like to nominate John Wilson. Seems to me he is always there to help the new guys out too.

Yep, I would agree with Ed AND John, lots of real willingness to help and share and is around enough to do it.

Wow, guys. I'm incredibly honored to even be mentioned for this. While I appreciate it tremendously I am a new maker. I try to help newer guys avoid the pitfalls that I fell into, but I also am well aware of how much I don't know and do my best to stay in my lane.

I've been involved in manufacturing and automation for 25 years, so I don't mind helping with electrical or hydraulics, etc. When it comes to knives....

this being a knife site, I really don't think I have any great insight beyond learning from my failures.

Thank you very much, but I don't belong in this category.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I third the vote for Ed.

I learn from each and every one of you. This site is a goldmine because of the people who post. I appreciate you all.

Well, John, I disagree. Sometimes when somebody posts a question they're looking for reassurance, maybe just someone to bounce ideas off of, or just want to talk about knives. It's very reassuring, especially to new makers to actually get a response. You've seen posts where nobody answered for a couple days, that makes someone feel like their comment isn't worthy or interesting. So I say, its not always super important that a pro answers, sometimes just the interaction of fellow new makers can be all they need. A newer maker may even be able to relate to them better sometimes. I think some of the old pros kind of forget what its like to be a new guy. You provide more of a service than you realize.

Of course, we need the Ed's, John Doyle's, and Calvin's, Kevin's etc. but there are other roles to play too.

I'd also like to nominate Kevin Cashen here too. His metal and heat treating knowledge, and willingness to help always catches my attention too.

I agree with all the nominations above, and yes, John Wilson, you do belong in this category.

I would also add Anthony Self. He's always willing to share his insight, his ideas and advise are sound, and his videos are always inspirational.

Wow, guys. I'm incredibly honored to even be mentioned for this. While I appreciate it tremendously I am a new maker. I try to help newer guys avoid the pitfalls that I fell into, but I also am well aware of how much I don't know and do my best to stay in my lane.

I've been involved in manufacturing and automation for 25 years, so I don't mind helping with electrical or hydraulics, etc. When it comes to knives....

this being a knife site, I really don't think I have any great insight beyond learning from my failures.

Thank you very much, but I don't belong in this category.

And he is Modest too.

Well Folks, with John out, that only leaves Ed and Kevin. How do I chose between them? They are BOTH great resources, and John should have stayed in, but that would just make voting that much harder.... not to sell Bruce and many others short, they are ALL a great help. I finally just tossed a coin to decide on vote.... and still couldn't decide :)

Back