First use of paragon HT furnace.

Smallshop

KNIFE MAKER
Got it set up. 1/2 thick alum base on top of the bench with the furnace on it.

read the manual....all excited to finally HT the A-2 blade I made.

wrap the blade...program the furnace...get the blade in and start 'er up!

Heats up to about 700f ....alarm. FTH
change the ramp time per suggestion...gets to about 800F...alarm. FTH

Check EVERYTHING...wire dia of circuit...correct voltage in building....

Get discouraged...have lunch with the wife and kids....staring into space wracking my brains....what if it's mechanical?

Then I sat there while it ramped while the temp clicked on and off per normal...then it just clicked off...temp starts dropping.

I wiggle the door counterbalance...and switch goes click,click,click.

The door was set up where the furnace was barely on...as it heated it would move the door enough to take pressure of the switch.

A little tweaking on the bracket that bears on the switch and I'm good to go! Since the blade has been up around 900F for hours I do a fast ramp to 1750F and soak for 45min....then quench. Got it tempering.

So glad my furnace just needed adjusting...lol! I was so relieved I had to share....

Paragon has had that problem for years. I don't know why they won't solve it. I tried to bend mine to adjust it and the weld broke so I just jumped out the switch. Other than that it's a good kiln.

Yeah...I thought it overly crude. A hole through that tab with a double nutted button head screw would give simple accurate adjustment. I do very much like the control...very simple and easy.

Back