Makers mark

M1911a

I purchased a stamp from buckeye engraving and it is a very nice stamp. Could I get some advice on the best way to stamp,I tried stamping with solid strikes with a medium weight hammer and striking with a 2 pounder also. Just not getting the result I am after. Any secrets shared would be appreciated thanks for your time in advance.

I am assuming that you are marking the blade "cold"? Personally I stamp all my blades just prior to heat treating, hot, right after the 3rd normalizing cycle just prior to hardening. Of course I forge most of my blades, so if you don't forge, that method likely will not be for you. :)

Here's a link to a page on my website about "marking" blades.... it might be helpful: http://www.caffreyknives.net/marking_art.html

I am assuming that you are marking the blade "cold"? Personally I stamp all my blades just prior to heat treating, hot, right after the 3rd normalizing cycle just prior to hardening. Of course I forge most of my blades, so if you don't forge, that method likely will not be for you. :)

Here's a link to a page on my website about "marking" blades.... it might be helpful: http://www.caffreyknives.net/marking_art.html
I wondered about doing it that way.

Something similar to Mr. Caffrey's will work way better than by hand. It holds and aligns the stamp so you get a straight, deep impression.

Ed I followed your link thank you for your information and time looks like I need to make myself a jig.Thank you

I agree. If you're marking "cold", a bottle jack press will generally give the best results. Just be careful.... myself and others have literally split the ricasso of blades with just a bit too much force on the jack! Probably the only other downside to using a bottle jack press is that it will usually mushroom the letters on a stamp fairly quickly.

I agree. If you're marking "cold", a bottle jack press will generally give the best results. Just be careful.... myself and others have literally split the ricasso of blades with just a bit too much force on the jack! Probably the only other downside to using a bottle jack press is that it will usually mushroom the letters on a stamp fairly quickly.
I am in the process of making a small forge I think I will follow Mr. Caffrey's advise. Thank you all for all of your advise.

1911, I use a jig like Ed. they work great. I'll try to post some pics of mine.

SN851156_zps397f3646.jpg

here's a pic showing a heat treated blade in it, of course if you hit that...you'd be looking for a new stamp...it's just a photo op.

SN851157_zpsce83e7b7.jpg

and here's a pic of a heat treated blade and one polished and ready for handles. the nice thing about doing it this way is you can smack it, pull the stamp, look at it, and smack it again...nothing moves. I love my stamping jig !

SN851161_zps61bfddb1.jpg

Last edited:
Steve, thank you for the pictures of your jig that might be simpler for me to make you guys on this forum are great sharing your ideas with novice knife makers.
Brent Milner

Back