Seeking friendly advice

I'm a farrier knifesmithing as a side hobby wanting to maybe make a little on the side of did Christmas presents for friends and family and I'm not sure how to get started in this business

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Make something and show it off to as many people as you can hold captive.
I made a knife shaped object in 1986, actually since I was a little kid but some guy offered me $65 for it....a fool and his money are soon parted. With todays' craft shows and social media, you shouldn't be at a loss for avenues to get dirty. Look up local knife clubs and join.

Good luck,

Rudy

Make something and show it off to as many people as you can hold captive.
I made a knife shaped object in 1986, actually since I was a little kid but some guy offered me $65 for it....a fool and his money are soon parted. With todays' craft shows and social media, you shouldn't be at a loss for avenues to get dirty. Look up local knife clubs and join.

Good luck,

Rudy
Thanks

these days we are super lucky. Facebook is the greatest thing that ever happened to the artist/craftsman. Make a knife and post good pics of it on facebook. Let people know you make them for sale. A lot of people also use instagram, but I've had a running waiting list for two years using only Facebook and I have never needed anything else.

utilize your old disposable rasps as a good start for experimenting.........simple knives like these are great sellers.......your interest and addiction will soon rise from your horseshoe forge flames !!!!!!
my farrier leaves me 1/2 dozen files every time he comes to trim and re-shoe ours.....keep it simple to start , have fun , experiment and move on from there !!

utilize your old disposable rasps as a good start for experimenting.........simple knives like these are great sellers.......your interest and addiction will soon rise from your horseshoe forge flames !!!!!!
my farrier leaves me 1/2 dozen files every time he comes to trim and re-shoe ours.....keep it simple to start , have fun , experiment and move on from there !!

Thanks for the tip

these days we are super lucky. Facebook is the greatest thing that ever happened to the artist/craftsman. Make a knife and post good pics of it on facebook. Let people know you make them for sale. A lot of people also use instagram, but I've had a running waiting list for two years using only Facebook and I have never needed anything else.
I'll try that thanks

You also can use the old shoes to make novelty knives and letter openers. Any one who says "Old horse shoes that were in the muddy poopy pasture are gross" remind them that most germs/bacteria die at 160° and a knife is taken to 1400 + ° to harden. If a germ/bacteria survives that then we all are in trouble. Lol
Seriously though I have seen several farm,ranch,equine facility utility knives made from old shoes and it is pretty neat looking considering a quarter of the shoe is folded back into itself to form the handle and guard.
Welcome to the addictive hobby. Have fun and we all are here to help with tips,tricks,suggestions, and learned from mistakes.

You also can use the old shoes to make novelty knives and letter openers. Any one who says "Old horse shoes that were in the muddy poopy pasture are gross" remind them that most germs/bacteria die at 160° and a knife is taken to 1400 + ° to harden. If a germ/bacteria survives that then we all are in trouble. Lol
Seriously though I have seen several farm,ranch,equine facility utility knives made from old shoes and it is pretty neat looking considering a quarter of the shoe is folded back into itself to form the handle and guard.
Welcome to the addictive hobby. Have fun and we all are here to help with tips,tricks,suggestions, and learned from mistakes.
Thanks man

Back