Looking to Identify Knifemaker

BalkanCowboy

A friend without Internet owns the knife depicted in the attached photos. We would really like to identify the knifemaker along with other relevant information about this piece. The knife is quite heavy for it's size, and the symbol shown in the second photo is embedded on one side of the handle. The blade and bolster is heavily etched.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

BalkanCowboy

161226 Lamont's 01.jpg 161226 Lamont's 02.jpg 161226 Lamont's 03.jpg 161226 Lamont's 04.jpg 161226 Lamont's 05.jpg 161226 Lamont's 06.jpg

I don't see any makers marks but it's hard to tell, it looks like your lens is smudged or your in a very smokey room.

Do you think the symbol on the handle in the 2nd photo might possibly identify the maker? I had to zoom in so far to get the shot that I lost focus. It will take a few days to get a better shot of that symbol, but will try if you think that might help. We couldn find any other possible identifying mark on the knife.

What your calling a symbol in just a common mosaic pin. Any info on where it might have been made? State? Might. Help narrow down who made it.

Erik

Is kind of hard to see much other than it is a damascus knife blade, bolsters with some file work all the way along the spine.
The obvious seperations of a production knife of the steel and stainless pins that are mismatched to the area of the bolster they are in. The line for the brass and mosaic pin are off center of the handle. May be a particular way the maker seperates themselves from others along with the hard curve at the butt of the the knife. Some clearer pics and pics of both sides of the blade by the bolsters may help a little.

After looking at the pictures a few times this knife looks like a Pakistani made knife. Look at the base of the blade and see if it is well made or not.

I believe that if a custom knife maker went to the work to turn out a Damascus blade and furniture and decretive filing he would have a touch mark. Like the above post probably middle eastern.

Another thing that screams Pakistani is the decorative pin on only one side. I have seen this on quite a few knives from Pakistan. Any custom maker would put it all the way through. The lack of a makers mark is very suspicious.

Another thing that screams Pakistani is the decorative pin on only one side. I have seen this on quite a few knives from Pakistan. Any custom maker would put it all the way through. The lack of a makers mark is very suspicious.

That's what I thought too.

My guess is a Pakistan knife and new they would run $40 to $70.There is no secondary market value for them.

The important things though are does it take/hold a good edge? Does it cut well? Does it balance and fit the hand well?

My immediate thought when I first saw the pictures provided was Pakistan. Upon further inspection.... still Pakistan.

There's a chance that it was made by a newer maker stateside, but even then, I'd bet that the steel is a Pakistan special.

Another thing about Pakistani knives is that they tend to over do it. Damascus blade, decretive filing, fancy handle. It makes the knife to busy.

Back