Quench oil questions?

Wally76

Hello all,
Wondering if there is a difference in quenching oils for 1095 and O1? I was looking and found a Citgo Quenchol 521 listed for both of these steel's. I was under the impression that these steel's needed different quenching oils due to a fast vs medium quenching steels? I am looking to get the most from my steel and want to move to a true quenching oil. I am currently using canola oil for both the 1095 and the O1. Thanks for any help.

Merry Christmas all,

Michael Walter

Hello all,
Wondering if there is a difference in quenching oils for 1095 and O1? I was looking and found a Citgo Quenchol 521 listed for both of these steel's. I was under the impression that these steel's needed different quenching oils due to a fast vs medium quenching steels? I am looking to get the most from my steel and want to move to a true quenching oil. I am currently using canola oil for both the 1095 and the O1. Thanks for any help.

Merry Christmas all,

Michael Walter

It is odd that they would put these two steels in the same category, as it would be very hard to be more different in cooling needs without goin to air hardening steels for contrast. 1095 requires about the fastest cooling of any of the commonly used 10XX series, while O-1 will harden just fine in even the slower medium speed oils. I personally would not try using the same oils for these steels, as either one would not fully harden while the other could even crack. O-1 is really prone to fine cracking when cooled too quickly in thicker sections and will not tolerate this sort of thing well. You want a 7-10 second oil for 1095 and an 11-15 second oil for O-1. The Citgo is most likely a medium speed and you would want another quenchant that is accelerated for the 1095.

Back