Contouring handles

ACLakey

Currently I'm using the 4" wheel on the bottom of my grinder to contour my handles. It's okay but I think a larger wheel would be better.

7d51f12f6bc2341aad903d0211059e06.jpg

a16fe849e0856655c8950c75dd5e6cba.jpg

484358c437dc954eb60d550c676033a6.jpg

I'm working on getting a 2x72 grinder with a flat platten, small wheel fixture and a contact wheel. I'm thinking about an 8" for stock removal and contouring. I may get a larger wheel down the road to try hollow grinds. What is your preference? Do you have any video on how you contour handles?

You are doing a fine job with that 4in wheel. That is a very useful size wheel to have. I contour my handles much the same as yours, only I use a 10" wheel because that's what I have. I get my handles about 75% contoured on the wheel and then go to the slack belt. Hand sanding gets the lines just right and even side to side.

Wait a min, people use the wheels to contour the handles not the slack of the belt above your platen? Man I've been doing things the hard way. Sheesh.
Well I guess this just goes to show how different each maker is.

Here's a great video from jacklore knives. This is probably the video I found a couple years ago to learn how to do it, now that I think about it. In the video, he's doing most of the work on a 2inch wheel. I use a 2 inch wheel and various small wheels on the bottom of the handle (finger side) because that's how my curves are shaped.

https://youtu.be/SV9RHk-WnEk

Last edited:
Of course different makers go different routes, but I personally use a 3" wheel and a 1 1/2" wheel for counturing handles. It's hard to explain in print, but whenever you're working on a handle, try to imagine how the human hand is built. When a hand is closed around an object, where the thumb and forefinger come together is the smallest portion, and where the pinky and heel of the hand come together is the larger portion of the way a hand works. To that end I use the 1 1/2" wheel for the front contour, and the 3" wheel for the rear contour.

I personally don't do a lot of countoured handles, simply because hunting and utility knives are rarely used with a full hand grip...... in most instances a "straight" handle, which is small at the front and larger at the rear (what I call a reverse taper) is far more comfortable and useful then a contoured one.

Ok so after watching these an reading what you wrote Ed, I use the two wheels I have to contour where the fingers go. A 1.5 an a 2" wheel since my lil sanders belt is almost a perfect triangle. But there is a guard that prevents me from using the wheels the same for the sides. There is where I use the slack of my belt to shape. Negative is there are a lot of small divots to clean up. Learning curve literally. Lol
Thanks for the info and tips also gents.

Back