To Etch of Not to Etch, That is the Question

johnnyjump

Good morning,

I etched a few of my knives with some new stencils today, and have a few questions that hopefully someone can help answer. The first knife I etched (with my Electro-Chem Etch, Personalizer Plus etching machine) was a 1095 steel, and it etched a little too deep. The second knife was an A2, tool steel blade which is a lot harder steel, and came out a little shallow. That’s the problem with working on different types of steels at one time. I would like to try to re-etch the second knife by carefully repositioning the stencil on the blade and hopefully deepening the grooves with a second electro-etching process. Would this be advisable? I would like to get a deeper etch, but maybe should leave well enough alone, as the last thing I want to do is mess it up.

Any insight and suggestions would be most welcome.

Thanks

I have never had much luck realigning and etching again. It can be done but many times you don't register just right and you end up with a blurry etch or double punching it.

After etching, I peel back one corner leaving as much of the stencil taped to the blade as possible and peek. If it's not where it needs to be, I push it back down again and repeat until it's where I want it.

t

Yes, I think you both confirm my fears, Bossdog and Ed. I think I will just leave well enough alone. It's just not in my nature, but I am learning when to hold back and not become a total idiot! Thanks so much for the tips.

you know what's worse than a less than perfect etch? a disastrous one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back