Hamon help

Ty Adams

KNIFE MAKER
Guy's I was hoping someone can help me out with my first real hamon. I am trying to get dark hamon. Steel is 1075 from Aldo. When polished and sanded to 2000 grit there are hints of whispy white lines. IMG_20161117_150032214.jpg
After etching and polishing with metal polish. There is no hint of them at all.IMG_20161116_204054817.jpg
Yes I know there is a blemish in the blade from cutting my stencil to small. I still do not want to give up on my first attempt at a hamon. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

I think it looks pretty darn good! To me that is a "dark" hamon. Can't do a ferric etch on it....because once you clean off the sludge, the edge will be brighter then the spine.....unless it's something you're willing to try. :)

Those "whispy white lines" are generally a very sought after feature. ;)

Thanks for the reply Ed. I was hoping that the white stuff would turn black. But if that's an unrealistic expectation I'll just run with it.

Thanks for the compliment Ed! I did get some help from John Doyle on some temperatures while heat treating. That probably saved me some trial and error.

Well, I don't have any experience with halons, someday I do hope to try it. But I am trying desperately to find the flaw, maybe it's the picture but that looks great to me, that Harmon really pops and the overall shape is a good one. Like Ed said, "run with it"

Wayne

Thanks for the compliment Wayne. The blemish on the blade is about 1/16" behind the s. It happened fast, I saw black show up next to the stencil and picked up the pad. It was too late. Three little dimples in the blade. Live and learn.

Well four etchings later and here is how it turned out. Next time I am going to try out different clay patterns, and shorter etching times. Thanks for all the helpIMG_20161120_174029893.jpg

Back