Lightning Strike Carbon Fiber

BrandantR

On my bench I have a folder that I'm just getting started on that has a tactical kind of look to it. I purchased some LSCF for the scales and just wanted to get some insight on how best to work with this type of material. So, I thought I would ask the experts here. I've never worked with carbon fiber, let alone LSCF before, so I want to do it right. It's kind of expensive, so I don't want to have to burn through multiple sets of scales working out the bugs. Here are a few of my questions:

What's the best way to work it?
Do I need to use an specific kind of belts to work CF?
What's the best abrasive grit for a final finish?
Is there any kind of finish to apply to the LSCF at the end of the build?

I'd appreciate any help in answering these questions and any other tips on working LSCF that you'd be willing to share.

IMO..... Carbon fiber is some of the nastiest stuff you will every work with. First, whatever in the way of "cutting" tools that touch it dulls quickly....belts, drill bits, saw blades, etc. Don't try cutting it on a woodcutting bandsaw, unless you plan on replacing the blade after the first few fractions of the cut. I've even seen sparks come off cheaper metal cutting blades when sawing the LSCF variety. GOOD metal cutting blades are what to use.

Where the "nasty" comes in is when you grind/sand it. Imagine taking the lid off a bottle of black colored baby powder and tossing the whole thing in the air (inside your shop).....that's essentially what it ends up as when grinding or sanding on carbon fiber. It seems that afterward everything in the shop has a light coating of CF dust.

Personally I can't work with it anymore because of my lung issues....it's that bad. Wear a GOOD respirator when working it, the dust from carbon fiber is akin to what pearl is....like sucking tiny razor blades into your lungs!

Any belt you use on a blade/steel will work. I've found that the structured abrasives are not as good as traditional A/O, S/C, or ceramic belts. I've finished it to as little as 400 grit and left it there, or as high as 1200 grit and then a light buff on a CLEAN buffing wheel. I've tried applying various finishes to CF, but for the most part the only thing I've found that I like is a SINGLE coat of Tru-Oil....just to seal it so that skin oils don't transfer/get into the material.

Last edited:
I heard it can get pretty dusty and also that a respirator is a must (I wear one all the time anyway). Thanks for taking the time to shed some light on working with LSCF. I really appreciate it.

Well, I had my first go with the LSCF. Ed, your assessment of the stuff was spot on. Black powder everywhere. One thing that I did find was that my hands were itching like crazy after a couple minutes, kind of like after working with fiberglass insulation without gloves on. I'm not sure if it was the copper wire or the carbon fiber shards that were caused the irritation. I slipped on a pair of latex gloves which solved the itching problem. I just did the rough grinding on my handles, so I haven't decided with the look of the finished product outweighs the hassle, so I'll reevaluate things when the project is complete. Here's a look at those handles.

Attachments

• WP_20161104_17_31_31_Pro.jpg
    WP_20161104_17_31_31_Pro.jpg
    154.9 KB · Views: 42
I have learned to wear vinyl gloves when grinding or sanding the stuff. Respirator always.
It's normal for small wires to break and stick out. Light sanding and wiggling the loose wire back and forth until it breaks off is common.
I sand it down to 800 or higher and then buff it with Pink No scratch compound. It really holds a scratch from a rough grit but sanding it is fairly quick.
I've never applied a finish other than a coat of wax.

Thanks, Tracy. I've still got a ways to go before I get to final shape. I appreciate your input.

Yeah, CF is some very dirty, messy stuff to work with.

Years ago a fellow I rode bikes with who worked in a materials lab at WPAFB was telling me about some destructive testing they had been doing on CF honeycomb structures and the like. Was grumbling about how the dust and small fibers getting everywhere in the lab and being worse than fiberglass insulation as far as irritating skin, eyes, nose, throat, etc. The stuff is strong, if designed properly, but when it breaks it pretty much shatters and sends shards, splinters, and dust everywhere.

Back