OK Gang....whats going on here?

Personally, I don't like any forge that is "square" or "rectangle" shaped. Any forge where burners come in at right angles creates the uneven heating that Mark mentioned. I generally encourage folks to build their own circular type forge. IF that's not for you, and you really want to purchase a forge, then the closest I could come to recommending one is from Chile Forge. They still have some issues, but when it comes to commercially available, there likely as close as you're going to get to building one yourself.

Just a note on burners.... I see/hear a lot of folks who get excited about multiple burners in a forge. Generally it's far less trouble/hassle if your forge has a single, correctly sized burner, rather then 2-4 undersized ones with multiple adjustments. The reason that most multiple burner forges have hot and cold spots is a simple matter of how propane fuel works in any appliance. It's always going to take the path of least resistance more so then any other available path(s). Most multiple burner forges will have a main fuel/propane line coming to the burners, then splitting off to feed each individual burner. The/Those burners closest to the fuel distribution split will always get slightly more fuel then those further away..... you can't just set the main fuel psi feed and have all the burners running the same....some are going to be leaner and some are going to burn richer....hence the hot/cold spots/areas in most multiple burner forges.

The only way I have ever seen this defeated is to have the appropriate number of "splits" at the main line coming from the fuel source, then have a regulator on each line, going to each burner...... big time expense and hassle.

Don't fall for the thought that more burners equals more heat....it's not necessarily so. A single, correctly sized and tuned burner will often outperform multiple burner setups, and do it on less fuel consumption.

When you say "Going through gas quickly".....thats more then likely from a given point of view. Are we talking about a 20lb cylinder? 100lb cylinder? Or a 500 gallon tank? I know a lot of people run their forges on 20lb "BBQ" cylinders, and that's likely where folks say "it goes through a lot of fuel". 20lb cylinders are very inefficient, and most will simply freeze up in a forge application with 1/3-1/2 of the tank remaining. I always encourage folks to run 100lb cylinders (unless they are open to the idea of installing an actual propane tank)....which are far more efficient for a forge, and generally are less to fill per gallon then the small 20lb cylinders. I went through all of those sort of things for several years before I got serious and had a 500 gallon propane tank installed. My tank is used ONLY to run the three forges in my shop (two general purpose forges and one welding forge).... I pay $48 per year for the tank rental, and fill it once every 14-18 months. It's far more cost effective then portable type propane cylinder could be.

Thanks much for the input guys.

Was looking at the 3 burner models simply for the size of the forge. Can always block it off with a firebrick and just run one burner for the small stuff. There are a number of projects I've got on the list that simply wouldn't fit in the smaller models.

Have looked at the Chili Forge Cayenne but price on that one is starting to get a bit steep. I know, I know. Buy once, cry once. Still want to start cheaper (pricewise) till I get a better idea of exactly I want and what I want to do. For now, something that gets the metal hot enough to hammer on is sufficient.

We've got a 500 gallon tank behind the garage now that is for the furnace. Don't use it much though as I prefer to just feed the woodstove. Could eventually tap into it for the forge. For now though we have a dozen or so 20lb tanks and two 30lb tanks that came with our camper. Was planning on using the 30lb tanks, either individually or in tandem.

I've actually got the firebrick, high temp mortar, and angle iron to make a firebrick forge (link). Just need a burner.

Unfortunately, I think one of the down sides to the show Forge in Fire, (which has driven a bunch of "wanna be" knifemakers recently) is the minimal emphasis placed on "fit and finish". I think what that's done, has given many the idea that what you and I would call a totally unacceptable handle is just fine.

Like many of the home DIY shows (which drive me up the wall), just by watching Forged in Fire, its implied that building a knife doesn't take very long.... I've had a number of inquires on knife orders who have balked at prices, and have actually stated..... "Your crazy, I watch Forged in Fire, and I know it only takes 3-4 hours to build a knife!" Not much you can do, other then to be polite, and then when you hang up the phone, just shake your head. To do otherwise is akin to trying to teach a pig to fetch..... it wastes your time, and annoys the pig! :)

I can't speak for anyone other then myself, but making the "best" knife I can, means EVERYTHING has to be the best I can do, and that includes the best fit and finish I can offer.....and that takes time and effort. :)

I agree with Ed that the show probably isn't helping on the knife collecting side, but it has driven a lot of the "wanna be" *bladesmiths* to professionals like myself, Ed and others, for *formal lessons*. I've been swamped by students who watch that show,... which is good! It gives me an opportunity to explain my opinions about the show and teach them what's really involved with making a high quality forged blade. They walk away with a much better understanding of our craft. It's not all bad. I like teaching bladesmithing *in person*. It's also a big part of my business and livelihood. Many, (especially the smarter ones), will choose it over internet chatter, YouTube and cyber reality... It seems to be helping with DVD sales too. :)

... The bad news is that, once we get done with them,... you'll see a lot more fully competent/ better educated competition out there.

Hopefully, it will all draw more collectors and broaden the pool, in the long run.

...May the forge be with you! :)

Last edited:
I guess what I'm saying is that, as time goes by and people get smarter,... they'll realize that what's portrayed to them through the internet and various media creates a warped perception of reality. hee hee hee

... the pendulum swings in both directions and drives people back into the real world,,, what works/what doesn't, seeing for themselves etc.!

It's a good real world teaching opportunity!

My hope is that in the long run and final analysis, all this mass media foolishness, drama, hype, swarm psychology and attempted brainwashing will somehow result in an overall better educated more enlightened society.

... Just keep up the great work, telling it like it is and the way you see it, being inspiration for all, Ed Caffrey,... and I'm sure good and better fortune will find it's way to you. You aren't alone and I hope this helps.

Forge be with you. :)

Last edited:
Ed,I generally post once or twice a week usually with a question sometimes with a finished knife but summer is golf season and I am 4 weeks into a new left knee. I was out in the shop the other day putting together some bolster and handle material for a 4'' hunter I forged out just before surgery. Itching to post some finished knives,

Back