My first knife...go easy on me

OK ABOSOLUTLY AMAZING!!! I have been making knives for a year and a half. ALL fixed blades. I just decided to start learning how to do folder. I don't even know where to start and what to order. That is a great knife regardless the fact that its not just your first folder but your first knife over all just says that much more. great work keep it up!

OK ABOSOLUTLY AMAZING!!! I have been making knives for a year and a half. ALL fixed blades. I just decided to start learning how to do folder. I don't even know where to start and what to order. That is a great knife regardless the fact that its not just your first folder but your first knife over all just says that much more. great work keep it up!

I'm a pure novice but I can share what helped me.

First is this video. This guy gives a great tutorial on using Draftsight. A free 2D CAD software.

I was afraid of CAD and tried designing my folder with paper and that was ok but I doubt I could have gotten it to work without LOTS of trial and error and wasting a ton of materials.

Being able to get everything working in CAD was a game changer. I could see that it would be at least functional.

[video=youtube;fo4qzpqwU38]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fo4qzpqwU38[/video]

Next is this video from the Boss. It is excellent.

It's a crash course on making a folder. I watched it at least twice and went back to specific parts many many times.

It's long...like 4 hours long. I've read from some people that it's too long but I completely disagree. It is crammed with content, tips and knowledge. $20 is giving this away. It's easily worth 5x that...at least to me.

http://usaknifemaker.com/guides-mer...stem-with-les-voorhies-and-tracy-mickley.html

Lastly, is this forum. It is a fantastic resource.

You can find answers to almost any question by using the search function.

And if you can't find an answer, you can always post a question. Someone here is ALWAYS willing to help and I've never seen anyone treated with disrespect because they're lacking knowledge.

Good luck. It was a long hard road but was worth it in the end.

Sleestak....THANKS man I actually just ordered that video yesterday. like I said I have been making fixed blades for a while so the blade itself and handle material I THINK ill be ok but all the innere workings is what I need to learn. I talked to another maker on the phone yesterday that helped me with a list of stuff to order for the style of knife I want to make. that was the biggest thing looking at so many different parts and pieces I was a lil over whelmed with what to order. I am going to check out that cad program to. hey if my first folder is close to yours I will be very very happy thanks again for the tips

Back