My first knife...go easy on me

Motor City Mike

I have been considering making a knife for quite some time and this is the end result. This is my very first knife.

It's mostly a prototype or proof of concept just to see if I can get everything working.

I decided to jump right into making a folder. Mostly because that's what I carry. I don't carry fixed blades, ever. In fact, it's against the law to carry a fixed blade here in Michigan unless you're hunting and I wanted to be able to carry my own knife.

So I made what I like to carry: A titanium framelock flipper.

I have a background (years ago) in Tool & Die and that was a tremendous help. I have a good understanding of the importance of flat, square and parallel and more importantly, how to achieve them. I am also quite good at holding tight tolerances.

I could write pages and pages on what's wrong with it and I'm sure you'll all be able to see my mistakes. But it works, it's functional and I can carry it.

It flips great. Like a rocket and it's absolutely rock solid with NO blade play at all in any direction when locked.

Everything was done by me in-house including, heat treat (I bought the hardware). All I have left to do is decide on a makers mark and put that on and sharpen it.

This has been one big learning experience. I learned A LOT!! And this place was a constant source of knowledge. Thanks to everyone that has contributed here, you never know who you're helping when you post.

8.25" OAL
3.5" Hand sanded blade CPM154 59 HRC

The next one will be better...hopefully.

All I have right now are some crummy cellphone pics but I was anxious to post something.

KwOJgll.jpg

ZGXCMju.jpg

vl7c9gW.jpg

gOuBo8k.jpg

The only thing that's not to like on that knife is the pocket clip. I hate them. Cost me too many lost knives.

Doug

WOW! That's just darn impressive! Your machining background definitely helps...a lot actually, especially with folders. I'm impressed with how your lock up sounds, that's a tricky thing to get really well and it sounds like you nailed it. your design and handle work is really really impressive. Your blade is were you could use some work, grinds aren't real clean but I'm sure you can tell that and heck, my first ones were about a hundred times worse so I would give that another thought. Practice will help a ton and a lot of those details will melt away as you do it. Really dang impressive! Make some more! you did really well

Boom! out of the gates guns blasting!
That is one heck of a first knife. Nice work!

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Very nice! With a starting point like this you'll be making some expensive blades in no time! I like the symmetry of the liners on the inside. How about a pic of the spine and back spacer? I think the only thing I would change would be adding a thumb stud, milled recess, hole, etc. for opening. There are times that I need to open a knife without a loud "thwack" and a slick sided flipper might be hard. I carry an auto that doesn't have a thumb stud and I find myself having to just push on the side of the blade for those stealthier moments. Great knife, congrats!

Holy cow. Thanks for all the compliments! I very much appreciate it.

Maybe because I'm too critical or maybe because I'm so familiar with it, all I really focus on are the flaws.

Daniel Rohde nailed it with the grinds. They were the hardest part. The grinds are, to put it bluntly, not good. I think the poor quality of the cell phone pictures hides some of the worst parts. This is actually the forth blade I made for this knife because I kept screwing them up.

I can do a lot of machining, fitment and holding tolerances but grinding a blade...sheesh, I was out of the league there. More practice I guess

No one has ever made a knife by hand without flaws. The maker always knows what they are, but no one else will notice. Just relax and enjoy.

Very nice! With a starting point like this you'll be making some expensive blades in no time! I like the symmetry of the liners on the inside. How about a pic of the spine and back spacer? I think the only thing I would change would be adding a thumb stud, milled recess, hole, etc. for opening. There are times that I need to open a knife without a loud "thwack" and a slick sided flipper might be hard. I carry an auto that doesn't have a thumb stud and I find myself having to just push on the side of the blade for those stealthier moments. Great knife, congrats!

I see your point. I'd be open to adding another opening method on another knife.

Here's the pics you requested. I used standoffs on this because I like the open look of them.

kYq3Cjal.jpg

HqcRcYll.jpg

Wow... first knife it looks like you have been at it for a long time. You can do a lot of clean up to the blade by hand sanding. You just have to be patient. When you think your done your not. When you want to be done your not. When you run out of sand paper and run to the hardware store you're close. I like the knife, looking forward to seeing more.

Outstanding first knife, right up your ally with your background, I think if you look at one of Don Robinson videos he shoes how he mills his folder blades, I have milled blades on a tilting mag chuck with round carbide inserts with good results, at times I can still screw up a grind. Deane

Dude, that knife is freaking great. We are our harshest critics. I'm here to tell you that's a beautiful blade. Were you going for like a sebenza style?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Ok, seriously the other 3 you made were flawed so bad you wouldnt use them?
Were the flaws cosmetic or fit/ mechanical?
Cosmetic can be fixed with hand sanding mechanical or fit, not so much.
The two lil blems next to the notch can be cleaned up with and sanding if you wanted.
On the closed pic of the blade was it taken at a slight angle or is the grind off center a touch?
Either way for the first knife it looks dang good. I have yet to make a folder of any type.

Last edited:
Dude, that knife is freaking great. We are our harshest critics. I'm here to tell you that's a beautiful blade. Were you going for like a sebenza style?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Thanks for the compliment.

I was not going for any style other than what I like.

I downloaded a free 2D CAD program, watched an instructional video and kind of taught myself how to design in that program . Then I just kept at it until I had something I liked. It took HOURS of trial and error but in the end it was worth it.

Ok, seriously the other 3 you made were flawed so bad you wouldnt use them?
Were the flaws cosmetic or fit/ mechanical?
Cosmetic can be fixed with hand sanding mechanical or fit, not so much.
The two lil blems next to the notch can be cleaned up with and sanding if you wanted.
On the closed pic of the blade was it taken at a slight angle or is the grind off center a touch?
Either way for the first knife it looks dang good. I have yet to make a folder of any type.

Both mechanical and cosmetic.

My first blade I ground the lock bar in the wrong direction. Rookie mistake.

The next blades I screwed up trying to hollow grind. Believe me, they were not fixable...or acceptable by any stretch of the imagination.

The blade is centered, I think that's just the angle I took the pictures from.

That's great for the first one! One of the reason I really like building folders is that each one is a whole new challenge. Each one you build, even if it's the same "model", will always have unique aspects/problems that you have to address, and it seems they can never be solved in the same manner as any previous one. If there ever comes a point where you're 100% satisfied with any folder you build....it's time to hang it up! :)

You know all the things you'd like to do better, and we are always our own worst critics (which is a good thing!). The only thing I saw in the pics that I would make a recommendation on is to relocate the detent on the next one....the closer to the pivot you have have the detent, the smoother the action will be, and the better is will "lock up" in the closed position....its all about the leverage/pressure the detent requires....closer to the pivot requires less tension on the lockbar, and makes it smoother because the detent has less travel then where you have it on this one. :)

That's great for the first one! One of the reason I really like building folders is that each one is a whole new challenge. Each one you build, even if it's the same "model", will always have unique aspects/problems that you have to address, and it seems they can never be solved in the same manner as any previous one. If there ever comes a point where you're 100% satisfied with any folder you build....it's time to hang it up! :)

You know all the things you'd like to do better, and we are always our own worst critics (which is a good thing!). The only thing I saw in the pics that I would make a recommendation on is to relocate the detent on the next one....the closer to the pivot you have have the detent, the smoother the action will be, and the better is will "lock up" in the closed position....its all about the leverage/pressure the detent requires....closer to the pivot requires less tension on the lockbar, and makes it smoother because the detent has less travel then where you have it on this one. :)

Thanks Ed.

That detent location isn't ideal but I had to move it out to the end of the lock bar to clear the stop pin clearance in the blade. If I moved it any closer to the pivot it the detent ball would have dropped into the "hole" for the stop pin.

Maybe I'll try to redesign the internals to relocate both the stop pin and the detent.

I put a flat on the detent ball to try to get some smoother action. It worked but I would like to relocate it too.

Thank you very much for the reply and advice.

Back