0 1tool steel

here is a good reference http://www.cashenblades.com/steel/o1.html
pretty basic HT. have quench heated to recommended temperature. preheat furnace to 1475F. add blade. once furnace is back to 1475F, soak for 8 (really thin, less than 1/16") to 20 minutes(1/4"). quench till cool enough to touch. wipe off oil. temper twice for desired hardness. take notes to find your ideal soak times

Getting some 01 monday, i hope. Will be building a kiln capable of 2300-2600° hopefully by the end of the year. The build will cost about $300. I have 3 knives planned out as of now from the 01 i am getting. Thanks for the info!

This is a GREAT TUTORIAL and can be done with common tools!

I love 01, it will save a lot of time too as it is precision ground and annealed. This will help as you won't have to do a lot of preliminary prep work with the blanks. And its pretty tuff stuff that makes a nice knife!!

This is a GREAT TUTORIAL and can be done with common tools!

I love 01, it will save a lot of time too as it is precision ground and annealed. This will help as you won't have to do a lot of preliminary prep work with the blanks. And its pretty tuff stuff that makes a nice knife!!
Yea, i have built a few from old nichols files now. About 3 weeks prep time trying to get them smooth. They just wont soften up all the way. But, harden up fairly well when heat treated like 1095.

Back