Shell Guard Bowie- 1075 & Ironwood Burl...

J. Doyle

Dealer - Purveyor
This is the latest bowie I finished up. I worked pretty closely with the collector on this piece and we both think it turned out pretty nice.

Specs:
Hand-forged from 1075 steel, clay quenched for a very active hamon
15 3/8" overall, 10" blade, .230" thick at the ricasso w/ full distal taper
Clip is just shy of sharp
Rounded spine and ricasso edge
Coined damascus collar
Damascus s-guard with hand carved sea-shell quills
Damascus spacer with line cut center
Coined copper accents
Carved and sculpted ironwood burl handle
Damscus finial cover

I would like to thank Coop for the excellent photo and my friend and master leather crafter, Claude Scott for the outstanding sheath. Thanks guys!

All comments and discussion welcome.
orig.jpg

orig.jpg

This is a great pic of a great sheath. Both are equally captivating:
orig.jpg

Last edited:
Not sure exactly why, but I really like the lines of your work! This one is no exception.
I also really like how the sheath is stained to match the handle.

Everything about this knife just works. The damascus pattern in the shells contrasting with the direction of the file work brings the shells to life. Likewise, the hamon line running the length of the blade and connecting to the figure in the ironwood looks almost like waves running up the beach, exactly where you'd find those shells. Maybe living by the ocean makes me read things into the knife that aren't intended, but to my eye this whole knife comes alive in a truly incredible way. When I look at this knife I see movement in a static object. The art has transcended the shaped object making the sum much bigger than the individual parts.

To echo Wiredude, the sheath is a perfect match in both color and design.

Holy smoke, now that's a knife! All the details and material choices came together in a beautiful combination. And that ironwood . . . Gorgeous! Expertly done.

Thanks John. I appreciate your post. I do pay close attention to my materials and how each is oriented to the others. But sometimes a little luck is a good thing and it ends up better than you expected. :)

John

I've said it before, I will say it again. You sure do make some nice looking knives.

I am never disappointed opening up a new thread posted by you. This knife is no exception. Just beautiful.

DeMo

John,
There is just so much to admire here in this knife, so much detail done perfectly, the choice of materials, the colors, and that sheath! You always amaze me. Congratulations on a fine knife.

Back