Knife shows in the Pacific Northwest

Ty Adams

KNIFE MAKER
Are there any good knife shows to go to in the Pacific Northwest? My experience with custom knives is limited to pictures and a few that I own. While I have received some help from a knife maker in Helena I would like to meet some new people in the knife making community.

I am looking for some shows with in driving distance. Being from Montana it is considered driving distance if you can make it on 2 pots of coffee or less. I have tried Google and did not come up with much. Thanks Ty

Not much to speak of in the NW when it comes to knife shows. At one time the Montana Knifemakers show was one of the better ones in this area, and although I love those folks, I had to quit the show, simply because it got to the point where it cost more to do the show, then most knifemakers could make selling at the show.

I suppose it all depends on the "level" of shows you're looking for. There are a number of smaller "club" type shows around the NW, but those tend to be more or less a local affair with local knifemakers.

I do recall that Blade Gallery was putting on a show in WA. that most considered a "good" show.....but I've not done that particular show, nor do I know if it's still being done.

The internet has put a big dent, or even destroyed most of the smaller shows.... even the Blade Show has taken a hit over the last 5 or so years..... many buyers will bypass going, and with the money they save on travel, just buy more knives via the internet. I personally have several collectors who do just that....asked to be sent photos of knives I have for the Blade Show, and buy via the net.

If it's exposure to the custom knife world you want, there's really only one place to go.....the Blade Show. It's the one venue in custom knives that I feel is necessary to attend if your serious about custom knives. Nowhere else on the planet will you be exposed to more of the custom knife world then "Hotlanta". :)

Thanks Ed for the reply. I tried to make to the Montana show in Missoula this year. But the wife and I had something else that weekend that made it so we could not go. I would prefer to go to some smaller shows just to meet and talk to some other knife makers. Hammer-ins would be nice, but they seem to be a thing of the past. Blade is on my list, and I was hoping to go to that show when I was ready to start selling knives. I just do not know if I'll have time to go this coming June. The show lands on the weekend of my 15 year anniversary.

Off topic Ed. You used to buy steel from Pacific in Great Falls about 15 years ago. Kelly Wilson, and Matt Lopes said to say hello if I ever spoke with you. Thanks Ty

I still go to Pacific when I need structural steel..... way back when A36 came about, and replaced 1018, we had a lot of "fun" at Pacific. I went in there one day and told them what I wanted (in 1018). I brought it to the shop and started working with it.....and it was obviously NOT the 1018 I was used to...... That's when I learned that 1018 had been "replaced" by A36. :) There's a lot more to the story, but suffice to say that I had a lot of interaction with those boys during that instance. :)

When you're up GF way, just let me know ahead of time..... and stop in for a visit!

I attended the Seattle International Knife Show both years that it was put on... 2014 & 2015. My understanding is that the folks at Blade Gallery changed to a two-year cycle after 2015, so I expect that we'll see this show again next spring (2017). The first year it was hosted in downtown Kirkland, and last year it ended up in Bellevue. I enjoy both years, but feel that the hotel it Bellevue was the better venue.
A number of great makers showed up... and in past years, Dave Lisch has hosted an entertaining pre-funk gathering at his shop to kick things off on Friday afternoon.
Erin

Thanks for the reply guy's. I could not find any information on the show in Seattle for 2017. If any information comes I will try to go.
Ed thank you for the invite. I will have to take you up on that sometime. The wife and I go to Fairfield several times a year. My In-laws have a small barley farm there.

My wife is a great person and supports me in anything I want to do. She has volunteered to suffer through Blade Show if I really wanted to go in 2017. Ty

There are some small shows in Eugene,Portland Or that I know of. Most are in the late winter and spring. I keep having to work the weekend the show in Eugene happens so I end up missing out on meeting Ben. Lol

Back