Big Chopper

Justin Presson

Well here it is finally, I have been working alot on this knife and finally finished it. This one challenged me and some first. First time I have ever done bolsters, first time making a knife this size, heat treating a knife this big in my forge was a challenge. I tested it after I ground it on 2x4 and deer antler , learned more about edge geometry overall a tough but rewarding build for me.
Specs:
1/4" 1075 high carbon steel
OD Green Canvas Micarta
Black g10 liners and spacer
Canvas Micarta rear bolster
Carbon fiber forward lanyard tube
Carbon fiber tubes in Bolster
JP bolts in the middle.
15" overall length

Thanks for checking it out.
JP
1533620c094b90877f385f26b2fa8048.jpg

166bc3dd225143f8edda7c0b3f26baeb.jpg

1d25f4c29cca2d0b0fa5c4658ffec4ac.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

That's a nice looking chopper there Justin, I wouldn't want to be a chicken with a long neck running around your yard !

Fun aint they? Have you tried cutting standing water bottles with it? If you haven't you need to because its a blast. BTW, how thin did you go before sharpening?

Thanks Joe and bladegrinder.

Darrin, I did cut 6 bottle at once durring testing before i handled it and it was fun. Im going to try for alot more when I do some more testing with it.
I took it down to .02 or so and had some chipping on the anter, did fine on the 2x4 so I ground out the chip and went to about .028 or so and convexed the edge like a 1/4" up like Jerry Fisk has been showing on his instagram page and it did not chip out on antler.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

That is the same process I use. I grind the blade a tad thinner than I think it needs to be and test it on something that's hard on edges (usually Axis antler). If it chips, I sharpen the chip/chips out, which moves the geo. back, making it stronger. That way the blade will "find" the thinnest geometry that it can take for a given application.

Back