Drilling stag slabs.

AJH_Knives

Hey guys, I have some stag slabs i need to drill for handle pins. what is the best way to drill the slabs? they are not flat on the one side. that makes it difficult to drill strait holes. any tips would greatly help me.

Aaron

I think it was Justin Presson or Anthony Self who made a drilling jig for just this problem. If you search the archives under "drilling jig" I think you'll find it. I can't remember off the top of my head what the thread was titled.

In a nutshell, they took a piece of square tubing or c-channel with a clearance hole in the top and clamped the scale inside with the flat side up against the tubing. Your drill mark will show through the clearance hole in the tubing. This way you're drilling down into the bottom side of the scale, which is pointing upward and held flat. The odd shaped bumpy surface of the scale is taken out of the equation.

^^^ That's exactly how I do it. I have a piece of aluminum c-channel with some windows milled out of the top of it.

I think it was Justin Presson or Anthony Self who made a drilling jig for just this problem. If you search the archives under "drilling jig" I think you'll find it. I can't remember off the top of my head what the thread was titled.

In a nutshell, they took a piece of square tubing or c-channel with a clearance hole in the top and clamped the scale inside with the flat side up against the tubing. Your drill mark will show through the clearance hole in the tubing. This way you're drilling down into the bottom side of the scale, which is pointing upward and held flat. The odd shaped bumpy surface of the scale is taken out of the equation.

Anyone got a link to that thread and or pics of the afore mentioned operation with the square tube or C channel???

I can't get it too come up in search?? Sometime a pic is better than an explanation!!! Anyone????

I searched for it and I can't find it, either. I know there was a thread with pictures.

John Doyle, was it you who posted that thread a while back?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the link and the pics, it is amazing how the mind works. For some reason I was not getting at all what was being described but as soon as I saw the pic I got it!! Duh! :happy:
I actually use something similar but for some reason the explanation was coming across as French!!

I once had a karate instructor tell me when I wasn't getting a move, everyone learns differently. He then went on too say some learn by instruction, some by watching/visual and some a combination of the first two.

I'm the same way. I can eventually learn if you explain it, but I'll get it right away if I see it and do it.

Back