Fun Halloween Project

Self Made Knives

I've got my shop destroyed during some interior finishing, but these are a quick filler to release some creative energy.
[video=youtube_share;kv1TkuYniIo]https://youtu.be/kv1TkuYniIo[/video]

That was awesome! I get a kick out of the sped up video with the music. Then the plasma came out and the music got heavy, LOL.

Now I gotta go get a plasma cutter. Thanks a lot.

Anthony, have you cut out any blanks with one yet? How much extra steel outside of the line do you reckon you'd leave to know you ground off the heat affected zone?

Excellent question John! I'd love to hear an expert's opinion on the HAZ of laser and plasma cutting. I'd like to understand exactly what happens to the steel at the cut line, if/why does carbon burn out, etc. I haven't tried the plasma yet for a knife, but I have used laser on a bunch. I added about a 3/32" offset to my drawing in cad, just on the cutting edge, and then ground that amount back off. Actually, that's where a choil comes in super handy, it's easy to add an offset to your edge from the choil to the tip. One source I remember reading made it sound like the carbon loss in the HAZ was only a few thousandths wide, but I really don't know.

I recall reading something similar, like 1/16" or less. If I was cutting my own blanks with a plasma it wouldn't be an issue because I could never get that close to my lines freehanding anyway. I like the idea of using the plasma because I could nest the shapes that much closer than I do now. It's always a struggle: do I buy steel in about the same width as the knife I'm going to make, or buy wider sheets for more flexibility? I started buying wider sheets of steel to nest my shapes but in reality I don't get the density I'd like due to the cuts I need to make on the bandsaw. Right now I have to leave room between the outlines so that I can run the steel through my bandsaw, and at the correct angle so that the steel will fit through the cut window without hitting the frame of the saw.

To me, a plasma makes all the sense in the world. I know you plan to be ten steps ahead with an XY table, which is awesome. But I have to believe that I could be way more efficient even hand holding a plasma than I could trying to account for my bandsaw cut angles.

When I get my shop lined out better, I want to try cutting some blanks freehand with a template. All of my designs are drawn in cad, so I need to use some offsets and create the templates. Nesting is big issue with large plates. My laser guy always ticks me off with how much space he wastes with his nesting. He won't accept my pre-nested drawings, claims the files are too big for his software. But for example, I nested 48 blades on a sheet and he nested only 36.

My whole knife making hobby is sort of on hold while I work on getting some interior walls added, insulation, ceiling etc. I just snapped one day and decided I was fed up with freezing/roasting, extension cords, poor lighting, etc.

I hear you on getting the shop right. I told myself last summer that I wasn't going to do many knives in the summer months. This is a hobby. I don't need to slave in a 100 degree weather with 246% humidity if I don't want to, or wait for evening so the mosquitoes can eat me alive. Then, lo and behold, summer is when I get the most orders. Then I tell myself it's time to stop taking orders. I'll just make the knives I want to make and sell them. Then, lo and behold, people wave dollar bills in my face and all these fancy belts and sandpaper cost money....

Back