New guy

Justin.schmidt23

Hello gents I'm new here. Just tried grinding my first knife on a new 2x42. Wow, that is ALOT harder than it looks! As a beginner it's very difficult for me to not get frustrated when things don't go right lol I expect a lot out of myself. But not to worry I got 6ft of HD steel to practice on until I can get it right. I'm using the cheapo craftsman belt 80 gr. I plan on getting good belts next month. But so far I'm enjoying this adventure

Welcome Hard to geind a first knife? Nah its easy to grind a knife like object. Lol grinding a knife is a bit of a challenge.
But seriously though do not let the imperfections you see in your grinds get to you. Use them to get the correct muscle memory and stance. It is a balance of force and friction.
My first knife was no work of art but was a tool and it is now still in use by a friend for skinning game.
The finish of the blade was crude but the geometry was sound and true. The next one was a little better as was each one after that.
My first grinder was a 4x36 hf with an 80 grit and 120 grit belts. I'm currently using a 1x42 that is as old if not older than me. Lol

Welcome to the forum. It's nice to have you here with us. Try not to get too discouraged as you get started. Like everything worth learning, it takes time. Take a moment as you finish each knife to make an honest evaluation. Look for things you did right and for areas where you can improve and make those corrections in the next knife. Step by step, your skills will improve and each knife you make will be a little better than the last. Knife making is an adventure, so enjoy the ride.

Thanks for the replies guys. There is definitely a learning curve to this craft lol. I'm just having a hard time figuring out what angle to put the blade against the grinder. Especially do it without getting my finger haha

Welcome to KnifeDogs! Knifemaking is an adventure.....and a never ending one at that. It's all about problem solving, on many different levels and degrees. I've been at it for 30+ years, and everyday I walk into the shop, I learn something new. I think for me, that's what has always kept it "new" and "fresh". :)

Grinding is all about details and muscle memory......it's a never ending "practice" thing...... but oh so much fun!

I'll echo what these guys said: Learn to see what you did right.

It's so easy to get down on yourself when you're learning. Making knives is frustrating. It's hard to do. Rather than beat yourself up, look for the things you did right. Think about why they turned out right. Apply that to the other things that need improvement.

Thanks again guys. My problem now is just getting a consistent grind line. And I really don't understand how you walk the bevel back to the spine.

Welcome to the forum. I can not give you any advice on grinding because I am new to knife making as well. If you go to YouTube and look up Nick Wheelers hand sanding 101 it will help you a lot. The video is almost a 1/2 hour long. Nick explains how to hand sand from a new makers perspective. It's not about having perfect grinds from the start but rather how to make your imperfect grinds look better. You need patients and a lot of elbow grease. Ty

Nick is the man. He could make a money off of the videos he has on YouTube. Instead he shares it freely. That is a selfless act to help out people just starting. I had stop watching his videos because my wish list of equipment was going to require a second mortgage on my house. Ty

Yeah his work is amazing. Haha I hear ya. I'm a disabled veteran so my income is limited. I bought my grinder and HD metal this month and now I can't get belts haha

Thanks again guys. My problem now is just getting a consistent grind line. And I really don't understand how you walk the bevel back to the spine.
Tell us how you are grinding now and maybe we can help, im far from the best grinder thats for sure but just trying to help.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

To walk the grinds up to the spine you hold the same consistent angle and keep making matching passes IE 10 on the left 10 on the right till you reach your desired grind height.
You can use paint markers or sharpies to mark the grind are to assist in finding your stopping point .
Be patient pick a design and grind height, 1/2-3/4 of the blade works good as a starting grind. Just practice,practice,practice.
Find a supplier to get ALOT OF BELTS. The best way to get a clean grind is fresh belts. Use them like they're free is what was said to me and it will be a cleaner grind

Welcome I am new myself just getting my supplies togeather too start.But nothing is as easy as it looks.But will a lil work We will learn.You will find the guys here are very helpful.

Well I do it pretty much as wall e describes I attempt to keep putting it on the same bevel over and over. It just hits a point where it won't walk up the spine instead it goes to the edge. But I just learned more pressure equals better results but less passes before I have to cool it off.I was barely taking steel off when I first tried I'm also using crappy belts without the funds to buy more so there's that lol push comes to shove I'll practice with files again :)

Using the grinder you have, just hog the bevels about 85% done and then draw file them flat to remove dips and waves. That will take you to near finished. Then you can finish by hand sanding. Each time you grind a blade try to improve. It won't all happen at once. It also helps to work in batches. If you build one knife at a time start to finish, you don't get enough repetition to form muscle memory, and you won't get a "feel" for grinding. I suggest you work on 10 pieces. It's only logical to expect your first one to stink. Your fifth one will be a lot better, and your tenth one will likely be significantly better still. Grinding is a learn-through-repetition thing. No amount of thinking about it will make you better. To grind well... you gotta grind.

Oh, and about pressure. Finding the right pressure is a learning curve, too. It doesn't take a lot of pressure on a new belt. As the belt wears, you begin to compensate for a dull, badly cutting belt by pressing harder. This is where mistakes happen. When you find that you keep chasing your grind all over the place, chances are you are using too much pressure to overcome a belt that isn't cutting.

So, how do you know when a belt is too dull to cut? The answer to that will evolve over time. Right now, dull means that you seem to be making more heat than progress. When it seems like the piece is getting hot every time you make a pass or two, that belt is no good for bevels.

As you progress, you may determine that a belt is toast when you have to press more than usual to remove the metal you expect to remove on each pass. There will come a day when you make a pass and just don't like the way the finish looks and you'll grab a new belt.

All new knife makers cringe when changing belts. I used to feel physically ill when I changed belts. It seemed like everything I touched was costing me more money. In the beginning when money is tight, that's true. But once you start selling your knives, the cost of materials is part of the sale. The customer is paying for belts and you need to have more than enough cost built into the price. That's when your time is the only cost that counts.

Old belts can be used for handles and for rough grinding blanks and general grinding. All is not lost just because the belt isn't good enough to grind bevels.

Last edited:
Wow that's excellent advice thank you very much. I have 6ft of mild steel from HD. I'm trying to baby steps this process so I cut up 6in pieces and marked a centerline. That gives me 4 "cutting edges" to practice with per 6in piece. So far I've made alot of improvement and began feeling the bevel. Then my belt snapped so my progress kind of went out the window lol but it's nice to see improvement

John covered it well. I will add that thumb pressure is something to consider. When you want to remove more material towards the spine make sure you are pressing there. If you need to thin the edge down more slide your thumb closer to the edge.
Also I like to stop several times and take a sharpie and blackin the bevels then make a pass to see where Im removing material, that can really help with where you are applying pressure.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Back