Help with 1084 heat treat.....

Joe, let me confirm, when you quenched for hardness, you went direct from oven at 1500ºF (or the appropriate temperature) direct to quench with no pause between oven and quench? What temperature did you go direct from oven to quench?

Ken H>

Yes for hardening the 1st coupon went directly from the oven at 1475° F into quench.
The 2nd coupon went directly from the oven at 1490° F into quench.
And coupons #3 and 4 went directly from the oven at 1500° F into quench.

The other part was just thermal cycling (not normalization!) for grain structure refinement. I was following this thread....

http://knifedogs.com/showthread.php?32182-Normalizing-how-far-to-cool

and quenching after the coupon goes 'black' or magnetic seemed like a good way to save a bit of time especially when processing multiple samples. At least I think I understood it to mean.

Thanks Ken!

Last edited:
Joe, I was thinking that's what you meant, but just wanted to be sure. Some good info in the thread you linked to.

Since 99% of my work is with SS (AEB-L and 14C28N) I'm not "up to snuff" on high carbon steels. I've worked with them some, but it's been a while.

Ken H>

Actually, when cycling, if you want to spare time you may skip the quench and just put back the sample in the furnace for the next heat as soon as it goes back magnetic (black).

Back