Daniel Rohde-Introduction

Daniel Rohde

Hey Guys!
I have been around this forums for a while but I figured I never really introduced myself very well...or at least left out some details that I would like to share now.

My name is Daniel Rohde(Pronounced Rode-EE), I'm a custom knifemaker, born in Fort Collins, Colorado but have grown up my whole life...my LONG 17 years, In Winona, Minnesota.

I’ve grown up in a very conservative reformed Christian home out in the country with about 10 acres of forest to play in(not much but it’s big when you are 8) and a beautiful little trout stream a arms throw away. I have been homeschooled since, forever I guess, and I loved it. I’m currently a senior in high school but am taking college classes at the local Tech College so I’m no longer “homeschooled”. My Dad is Electrical engineer and my mom is a stay at home mom(love her, Dad to a I guess;) but was a mechanical engineer for a time. Designing and drawing kind of runs in the blood I suppose. Anyhow, growing up I loved to makes things. Anything.(That is, when I could find enough jobs to earn the money to make things). I’ve built bows, fishing lures, tied flies, and most anything else a 12 year old could do as it relates to outdoor gear and other crap like that...and few other things he shouldn’t do..but we wouldn’t get into that.

Anyway, in my rampage of figuring out how to build things I came across knives and it really appealed to me, I could use most of the skills I had used in making other tools all at once to make knives(Awesome). Turns out, making knives doesn’t really get the parents excited, much the opposite in fact-unfortunately....especially for a 12-13 year old.Trying to convince parents to learn welding, build forges, and other miscellaneous tools takes time to get used to apparently. SO, much persuasion (and manipulation) allowed me to start working away on my first knife. A real beauty out of ¼”...aluminum. Yes sir, I knew exactly what I was doing. Handfiles and hacksaws were the way to go. I’d be a pro by the end of the month, I just knew it. Turns out there were a few things I had to learn….just a few.

Well, my latest addiction hit me pretty good. I got searching for books (a library is a beginners best friend...especially when you had dial up internet) I found a couple that really blew my 13 year old mind (Who knew aluminum was a bad choice for a knife?) Being young is nice like that, you can get started without realising how much you’re in over your head. Apparently, I had less of a clue than I thought. Alwell, I can figure this out. Probably.

So, after way more reading than I care to mention I figured out that steel was probably the way to go, and if I was going for steel I figured I’d go all in and jump into some D2 because some mister Wayne Goddard said it was a great steel...which it is, but not for files and a campfire heat treat(Bad idea) Yeah, thats right. Well, that knife isn’t exactly what I would call Master Smith worthy but it’s had to be close:p(Hey! It was a knife! It could even cut through toothpicks if you put your mind to it) It sure made me proud anyway. Until, I decided to check out the internet(parents had to okay that to….what struggles I went through:p) and found out my knife wasn't worth crap. My heat treat wasn’t even close to right. So I came to terms with life and scratched together some more money to get some cheaper “easier” steel...¼” 5160(not hacksaw friendly)

Okay, this might get long if I keep rambling in this chronological way. I cut through the fat a bit. At some point in the future I got a bit more of a clue about what was doing(It’s amazing the little hurdles you have to go through to get anywhere when your 13 to 14) I started joining some forums and talking to guys who actually knew what they were doing. Now it’s been a couple years of asking questions, trying and failing and then more trying and here I am. Now I’ve built two 2x72 grinders, PID controlled Kilns, and misc. other tools. I've made probably a hundred knives or so(probably more...who knows) ranging from paring knives to choppers, Fancy stainless steels to simple carbon, Folders to hidden tangs. It’s amazing to look at my first one and my latest one. There’s no comparison.

I still consider myself young to the art but not a beginner anymore. I have come a long way through lots of hard work. I read a lot. I try a lot. Why? Cause I love it. I really enjoy going down in the shop and playing with the tools; I still have lots of things to do, try, and learn but I’ve got a good start thanks to the help of so many others. Knife making has opened so many doors for me. I have learned countless things ranging from web designing to CAD work to welding, machining, marketing, business,and people skills and have met so many great people in the process.

I won’t be here without others helping me-Thank you all!

Regards,
Daniel Rohde
Picture of me(in case you were wondering I suppose)
29215716662_f070e8a7d6_z.jpg

I can actually make a knife now...
29202538865_2a378b9df7_z.jpg

Haha...welcome Daniel. :)

I had NO CLUE you were so young. You speak and write very well for any age group and the way you conduct yourself is very mature.

You are well on your way to a bright future...in knives or anything else you undertake, it would seem. Congrats!

Haha...welcome Daniel. :)

I had NO CLUE you were so young. You speak and write very well for any age group and the way you conduct yourself is very mature.

You are well on your way to a bright future...in knives or anything else you undertake, it would seem. Congrats!
Thanks, John. I appreciate that.

Nobody(or few) knew I was this young for a reason. I never published the fact and I still probably won't more that this. I didn't like the idea of people having a distorted perspective of my me, my work, or the advise I might give(for good or bad) because of it.

DR...

Thanks for the introduction. Like John said, I had no idea you were so young. You have come a long way and that is remarkable for someone your age, looks like Christian homeschooling REALY paid off, your parents have done a good job of being parents. I hope you enjoy many happy years as a Knifemaker. Keep up the hard work at school and at home. God bless.

WOW, yea, I thought you were an old timer like a bunch of us...tough guy...never complains about arthritis, back pains, old broken bones Ha,Ha. now I know why.
Nice to meet you again Daniel!

Wow! I had no idea you were so young. Your work speaks for itself.

Something I was told many years ago has been proven true time and time again. You are further proof of it. A man said to me, "Some guys can work for five years and get twenty years worth of experience. Other guys can work for twenty years and gain five years worth of experience."

You, Daniel, are in that first group. You will excel at anything you commit to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Daniel, I'm glad I got to meet you at the hammer-in last weekend. I too was surprised you were young - still in high school. I really enjoyed seeing you working at my forge station Saturday, and I'm REALLY impressed with the skills you have acquired so quickly. You are one of the knife makers I'm keeping my eye on 'cause you could go far if you keep it up at the pace you're on. I really like your work, and the knife you showed me is outstanding. Keep up the good work, and stay in touch.

It's nice to get to know you better, Daniel. Thanks for taking the time to share your story with us. I've always admired your work, which, like John said, speaks for itself in regards to your knife-making skills. Now that we know that your so young, we expect some great things to come out of your shop for many years to come. Stay true to yourself and true to your faith and you will accomplish wonders.

Well Hello Daniel - good to know you better. With your attitude you will have a wonderful, productive, fruitful, and happy life. We homeschooled our two girls a few different times and they liked homeschooling the years we did it, but each time they went back to public school they always said it was easy because they were so far ahead of the others in their class.

Ken H>

Wow Daniel. I have been looking at yours knives for awhile. Your designs, fit and finish is top notch. You have come along way for a young man. I work with a lot of young men that do not have any desire to improve. Good for you. Thanks for sharing. Ty

Welcome Daniel. Your mom did a good job as a teacher I'd say.
I've had a knife on order for a few months now guys, Daniel does really nice work, I don't care how young he is! (said with a hint of jealousy by an old fart)
Dozier is South La (not Bob)

Last edited:
Daniel, I to had no idea you were a young man but makes no difference you make some great looking knives, keep at it.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Back