Strange Mix WWII Knife

neitman

Just picked this one up. I suspect it to be a theater modification, but who really knows? French made AU LION trench knife blade from WWI, missing the brass knuckle grip and appears to have it replaced with possibly a Mark 1 leather grip/wooden butt. All attractively housed in a nice Milsco M6 sheath.
If you have anyother thoughts on it, I would love to hear them.

Attachments

• IMG_5902.JPG
    IMG_5902.JPG
    131.2 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_5906.jpg
    IMG_5906.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_5907.jpg
    IMG_5907.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_5904.JPG
    IMG_5904.JPG
    119 KB · Views: 26
I can't identify it, but I have to say that is an attractive knife. Interesting that the guard and pommel used seem to go to a single edged knife. You'd think the maker would have used a double guard and a round pommel to accent the double edged blade, more of a Fairbairn style balanced look. Perhaps that does indicate a theater modification?

AU Lion

As I said, the brass knuckle grip is missing. Maybe found it too heavy and cumbersome and since it is held on by a nut at the pommel end, it was easily removed. However, the replacement grip, besides being a less attractive choice considering the double edged blade, is also very sloppy loose. The leather washers and the wood pommel move around quite a bit. I doubt it was ever a tight replacement. I would love to find an original 1918 stamped brass knuckle grip with a trash blade. Then maybe I could get it cheap and restore the AU Lion back to the way it was issued.

Attachments

• AU Lion Trench Knife.jpg
    AU Lion Trench Knife.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 10
Back