Circular saw blades?

Kev

I have been given a large stack of used circular saw blades, newer ones, just used up. I've done some research and it seems like they may make a serviceable, not perfect, but usable blade. But the information I've gotten is inconsistent. My question(s) is do I need to anneal the metal, and what is the best heat treatment after shaping, if it even nessecary?
Thanks in advance, and excuse my ignorance. I'm new at this.
Kev

Free and potentially useable metal is often a good thing if you have lots of free time.
But if you don't then honestly bite the bullet and spend the lil bit and get known steel like 1080.

Circular saw blades (this are of the 10" size range?) that have carbide tips are usually NOT good steel for blades. If you have circular saw blades without carbide tips they might well be good steel, possible L6? If you really wish to use non-carbide tipped blades, you might try heating a coupon (perhaps 1" x 3" test piece?) just past non-magnetic, quench in canola oil and check to see if a file skates. "IF" the file skates indicating it's hard, then temper at 400ºF, then check again to see how well the file cuts the test coupon.

You might consider breaking a 1" section off prior to tempering to check grain. Clamp in vise and hit with hammer. The grain should have a "gray" look to match a broken file indication of small grain.

Best thing is to buy some 1080 type steel. It won't cost much, and you'll know exactly what you got. BUT - I got my start using "mystery" steel and some of those turned out pretty good knives, but finally moved known steels, mostly stainless because my wife didn't like the patina of carbon steels.

Good luck.

considering the amount of work you are going to have to do to get a blank to grind, you would make better use of your time buying a piece of known steel like Aldo's 1084 or AKS 1080+.

Thank you for the replies, gentlemen. My take from the response is, while it "might" work, the time and effort of the endeavor most likely will not be efficient.
I'm new to all this and am chomping at the bit to get rolling, but I do understand the effort vs. reward curve, and it's coresponding effect on the longevity of the endeavor. I will take your advice and save up for some suitable steel of known origin.
Thanks,
Kev

If you want to get started and have time to kill you could use an old planer blade and see what hard work is. Lol

Back