Nj Steel Baron

Rick Otts

Does this guy do small orders? Like I was thinking of ordering 3 48" bars of steel.Waiting to see the shipping on that! Thank God its only to NY.

Yes and the shipping is not outrageous even all the way here to Florida! Shipping is based on weight, (I think)!

I think he realizes to get your business he needs to cater the small guy, so once you make it to the big time:s12137: get it, make the big time,............you will still want to buy his steel!!

Does this guy do small orders? Like I was thinking of ordering 3 48" bars of steel.Waiting to see the shipping on that! Thank God its only to NY.

I know he will ship 3 bars to Arizona, the shipping is costly, but I don't know how else they could do it cheaper.

He'll do about any size order you want, as far as I know. Personally, I think the shipping is typically a little on the high side, especially if you're only ordering one bar, but if you spread it out over a few, it's not absolutely horrible. The quality is what I shop for though, and I'll pay a little extra to get it if I have to.

Buying knife steel...... I'm gona jump in here, and give a prospective of someone who's been buying steel for a lot of years. If you can find one or two sources for knife steel that you grow to trust, stick with them, and never mind the shipping, just pay it. Today, versus 25 years ago, quality knife steel has become more difficult to find, and although we fuss about prices, it's not increased in price nearly as much as most other supplies we use. My advice is that IF you find quality knife steel, of the type you want, buy as much of as you can at that time.... it won't go bad on the shelf, and it's not going to get any cheaper then it is right now.

Personally, I do not buy knife steel from any general knife supply outfit.... I only buy knife steel from outfits who specialize in those particular steels, and whom I've come to trust over time..... that's just my personal rule because over the years I've gotten steel that wasn't what I ordered, and in some cases steel that was not what it was advertised to be. An example was an outfit that advertised in Blade Magazine for 52100 flat bar. Now, unless it's been re-rolled, or forged, 52100 simple doesn't come in flat bar. I placed an order, got the steel, and took it to the forge. It did not forge at all like 52100, so I cut some pieces and sent it off for spectrographing....... it was O1! When I called the seller, I was told... "Its close enough to be called 52100!":52:

"Good" steel has become harder and harder to come by over the years. Lots of places sell knife steels, but not all steel is created equal. For me, there are a total of three places I purchase knife steels..... Kelly Cupples out of Yakima, WA., Aldo Bruno (NJ Steel Baron), and Specialty Metals (for stainless and other "exotics"). There are certain outfits that I simply steer clear of because time has taught me that they sell "seconds". I won't say the name(s) on the open forums, but if you want to know, PM me.

I've been around long enough that I've come to know many people within the steel industry, and regularly speak with those individuals. I can still remember a conversation I had with a company that produces 5160 steel (among others), when many were having issues with inclusions in 5160. After learning that they had eliminated the positions on the rolling line known as "scrubbers" (those who clean/scrub the rollers as steel is being rolled to size) I understood where the inclusions were coming from. Upon asking why they would do such a thing, I was politely told that for most customers it didn't matter, and when I protested further, was told that knifemakers were such a small percentage of the customer base, that the steel company really didn't care what we wanted/needed....something that I've heard from many different steel companies.

Overall, steel is still one of the cheapest portions of building knives, but if your name is going on it, don't take anything for granted, and buy only from those outfits you have come to trust. If the price seems like a truly exceptional "deal", then you might want to think twice.

What I find interesting (read that to mean ridiculous) about shipping, is the fact that several years ago when fuel prices spiked, shipping charges shot up too....with the issue being that when fuel prices dropped, shipping prices stayed high, and continued to increase. In my mind the high shipping prices of anything, is simply because "they can". It's not the steel seller's fault, they are simply passing the cost on so they don't loose money.

The moral of this whole story is...... don't worry about the shipping charges. They are what they are, and are pretty much out of the buyer's (and the seller's) control. Find steel suppliers YOU trust, and buy from them.

Last edited:
http://sb-specialty-metals.com/ If I remember correctly, these are the folks that used to be with Crucible steel. It's where I get all of the stainless I use. If you don't see what you're looking for, give them a call and ask. They've always had whatever I was looking for.

Heck my Uncle worked for them here in NY.But I am only going too use 1084 for now and will get it from the Baron.Once again thanx Ed.

Thanks for the info Ed , I don't do to much during the summer but getting close to back out to the shop time.

Thanks for the advise Ed. the only exception might be when buying precision ground flat stock tool steel that is sealed in the makers wrapper. I thought Aldo's shipping was a little high until I had to ship some similar sized stuff myself. his prices are about what you would pay to UPS to ship a 4 foot by 6 inch tube.

Last edited:
Aldo's shipping seems just about right to me in FL. Even if it was higher, the few times I've had to call them, I couldn't have asked for better customer service. That's worth something.

Like anything, I try to hold off until I can buy a bunch of stuff to maximize the spread of the shipping cost across items. Shipping is what it is. Calculated into the cost of materials, it's just like a consumable. All you can do is be smart about how you purchase things to mitigate unnecessary costs.

Back