Any doctors out there? Doctors knife.

Calvin Robinson

Moderator Christian Forum
I've been wanting to make one of these so when a customer requested one I figured I better build a prototype first. It turned out pretty nice so now I'm confidant I can build one for him.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 108
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 92
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 92
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 93
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 86
Prototype? That's looks amazing to me, can't see what you would improve. So, the obvious question, what is the flat blade for? Peanut butter and jelly?

That is a spatula, for tongue depressor and mixing prescriptions that you crush pills to make. The butt of the knife is made flat to use as a pill crusher.

That is a beautiful rendition of a doctor's knife.

Anthony - The flat blade is for checking a patient's throat. It will push down the tongue. Or, right side peanut butter. Left side jelly.

DeMo

Very neat Calvin, I've never seen nor heard of one before. I may never be able to make a knife as nice as your prototypes, but I'm hoping that someday I can make one almost as good as some of your worst rejects. :biggrin:

Now that is a beautiful knife! Interesting to know that the second blade is a tongue depressor. Hopefully it doesn't get confused with it's edged brother, 'cause that would be bad. Expertly done, Mr. Robinson.

Prototype? That's looks amazing to me, can't see what you would improve. So, the obvious question, what is the flat blade for? Peanut butter and jelly?

Anthony,
I didn't answer your question completely, that flat blade is not sharpened with a cutting edge,I ground it on a taper from .075" at the tang to .010" at the tip.

Very nice work!! Please post pic's of the one for customer, when you get it finished. I can't wait to see that one as the prototype is excellent.

Jim

I've looked at many Doctor knives in my career and yours certainly ranks right up with the best. Nice job, Cal!

Looks great Calvin !!!
Frank

Thank you Frank. The first set of scales I put on this knife was the Argalite you gave me years ago but I cracked both sides the first time I tried to assemble the knife after the glue had dried. After I composed myself I milled the Argalite out and started over again with this jigged bone.

Very nice Calvin but, would not expect less from you!

Tongue depressor and tonsillectomy all in one!! :what!: :biggrin:

Back