Deep etching copper

Self Made Knives

Here's my latest tinkering, can't find ferric chloride anywhere locally anymore, so I think I've found a good alternative.
[video=youtube_share;kBe4Sxlm2GA]https://youtu.be/kBe4Sxlm2GA[/video]

This is an awesome video. Thanks for posting it. That's a really cool way to add so.ething different to copper. I'll be saving this one for sure.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

Not yet, but I've got a chunk sitting there waiting for next time. Been spending most of my time lately working on finishing the inside of my shop, not much knife making going on.

You do really great videos, Anthony. I was surprised that the acid solution got exhausted so quickly. I wonder if it's a result of the oxygen coming out of solution from the hydrogen peroxide (leaving behind water to dilute the acid) or whether it was simply exhausted from the reactance to the copper it had already etched.

John, I'm assuming the hydrogen peroxide is some sort of oxidizer and once it's ran it's course the reaction stops. I haven't looked into it really, since the ingredients are relatively inexpensive I didn't bother trying to figure out what's going on. I'm sure there's an interesting chemical explanation. I just finished a "fun" video last night, I'll post it in the dog run when it's done uploading.

Back