Hey Everybody

Countryboy

I am just starting out in knife making and would love all the help I can get,I tried making my first knife from a old file and it didn't turn out good,can anybody tell me which metal and thickness is best starting out,I want to make a skinner,and where to buy the blade steel

Aldo Bruno ( NJSteelBaron.com) is a great place to buy steel. If you are going to heat treat it yourself, you can get a carbon steel. If you are going to send the knife out for heat treat, AEB-L is a great stainless steel and the price is right. I send all of mine to Peters Heat Treat and they do an awesome job with quick turnaround. If you send knives out for heat treat you get a better deal by working in batches and sending in a bunch of blades at once. Saves you on shipping cost, too.

I like 1/8 thickness for just about everything. I go thinner on small kitchen knives. 1/8 thickness is plenty for any knife that isn't used for chopping down trees.

As John said, I like NJSB too, but you have to buy a 4 foot stick usually. If you are brand spanking new and not sure how far you'll go with this hobby, you might consider just buying a small stick. The owner of this forum sells single knife quantities, link at the top. Another favorite of mine is Alpha Knife Supply, he also sells small sticks. You'll probably need some pins or Corbys and other supplies too, and they both have all you need of that kind of stuff too. Lastly, why didn't your "file" knife turn out? Heat treat? Junk file steel? Just curious.

Good points by Anthony. KnifeDogs is a one-stop shop for just about anything you'd need. The "knife making supplies" link at the top beside FORUMS will take you to the store.

There is many places to get metal for this hobby in quantity or by the knife length piece.
I too am curious how the file knife did not turn out?
Too soft,hard or just didn't come to fruition?

Back