Tantos, a camp knife, and a chubby kwaiken

Stormcrow

Some smaller work from the Blade Show. All of them are forged from 5160 with wraps of paracord over a foundation of neoprene and impregnated with West System marine epoxy.

This o-tanto has a blade 13" long and an overall length of 18 3/4".

This shorter one's blade is 7 3/4", OAL of 13".

Camp knife is a 7" blade with an OAL of 12 1/2".

And this chubby kwaiken sold before I could get any decent pictures, but the new owner started posting pics of it on Facebook the next day, already out in the woods with it. I was able to retain more power hammer texture on this one than I usually do and it lends an almost reptilian look to the blade.

With a 12" Wrecker he picked up from me last year:

I didn't get to measure it, but I'd estimate a 6 1/2" - 7" long blade.

He picked up a couple of these belt loops from RMJ at the show.

He told me it would be getting wet, and sure enough, it got rained on its first day in the woods.

Here it is next to the remains of an old moonshine still that he found in his wanderings.

Always glad to see my blades out getting used. :)

I have not been here a lot lately but looks like your sill rocken it. Looks like a happy camper ;)

Those are all very nice. I love the tanto and the last one (whatever the name is - I never really learned Japanese blade terms). I have enough issues with learning Chinese terms and European terms to add more to it. Still, those two are outstanding, at least by how the look.
How much taper is there in that tanto? I am trying to determine how, "blade heavy" it would feel. I am guessing that the way you do your handles may leave that end of the weapon / tool a little lighter and therefore give the perception of a relatively heavier tip. Just an idea. I don't mean that it would be too heavy, just wondering if that handle configuration helps contribute to the overall balance of the thing. I hope this makes sense.
kc

Kevin - With that long of a blade, it is going to be blade-heavy. But the tang is substantial enough and the wrap materials add enough weight that the balance is not too forward.

Back