Hello

Hi folks, someone at another site pointed me this way. I'm very new to this and have just begun the process. Plan to work in the forge mostly and do not have much desire to do stock removal. No idea why but that is how I feel.

My interest is kitchen cutlery and hunters. At this point other knives have not sparked my interest. That will soon change I am sure.

First question
What do you folks think is the absolute best resource (print or otherwise) a beginner should get their hands on? Yes, I know there will probably be as many resources as there are knife makers mentioned but that is what I want.

Welcome natenaaron to KD. My favorite book is "How to Make Knives" by Barney-Loveless as it covers a little of everything. Ed Caffrey has some great DVD's on forging and Damascus and will answer questions on this site as well.

Welcome Aboard Nate!

Check out Wayne Goddard's 50 Dollar Knife Shop, it is worth a read. Anything by Dr. John D. Verhoeven if you want to get into the nitty gritty of heat treatment. I really like Walter Sorrels videos on Youtube, and he does some forging and metal removal. As far as the best resource for knifemaking I think this forum is hard to beat. Lots of helpful people.

Back