First hidden tang and some special Damascus.

coachcampana

So, I recently inherited my grandfather's workbench. He was a career machinist. This bench has been living at my grandfather's home, he passed away years ago, and the family is finally ok with selling the house. Time to move on.

The bench has to weigh like 800lbs. So to move it I had to take it apart. More like my uncle did that disassembly for me and I picked it up. I wanted to replace all of the hardware since I had the bench in pieces. So I got the bench home, rebuilt it and had a pile of old nuts and bolts left over. For some reason I had a hard time just throwing those bolts away. So I had an idea, canister damascus. I contacted Rob Deker Dekelbaum and told him what I wanted to do. So I shipped my bag of old bolts to him and a couple months later I had my steel. Old bolts, 4800 KC powder, and w2 for the edge.

I used antler scavenged from an uncles property, some brass from my grandfather's vice (I had four pieces of brass he used to clamp things in his vice, so I didn't feel bad cutting one up, and yes I use his old vice as well) for the guard, and the canister damascus. I like calling it heirloom damascus.

I'll be giving this to my father for Fathers day. I have enough steel left to make 3 more blades, maybe 4. I'm not sure who I'll make knives for, but it will be family I'm sure.

cd56d1bf2ae8da5a325b80ea0285bc79.jpg
17f0a538f2236795bcac7bf6f081432e.jpg
df20154335bfe63ae5b25d29f4383257.jpg
399fd0879c4bc2fef40243b3488387e1.jpg

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

LOVE IT!!! The story behind it makes is extra special. Awesome idea and execution. Now there's a new family heirloom to pass down.

Back