Moasic Damascus going to the Blade show

Doug, how in the world did you get the stars and flag in that Damascus? Is it really thru the billet? OR - is it a surface etch you use?

What I'm trying to ask, Once I grind that to blade shape, then etch - will that same pattern be there? If so, WOW!!!!!!!!!

Ken H>

Ken I made each star in a 2 1/2" can they are forged powder metal one at a time then ground and re stacked in a can with spacers to keep them aligned then the spacers were pulled out as I added powder metal to keep the alignment and more forge welding it's all Damascus strait through. the stripes are .50 nickel I patterned with ladder pattern dies then in another can with the finished 50 stars and more powdered metal and more forging all of the other pictures are also powder metal forged in a 4" can the Marine Corps logo was forged powder metal in a 5" can I'll be at table 2DD at the blade show

Doug, that is just so impressive!!! From the way you describe the making, once the blade is ground out, etched, that is the pattern that will be visible. That is some labor intensive Damascus! And it would have to be the yr I didn't make Blade (wife says we WILL be there next year!).

Ken H>

Wow, I think Damascus has just entered a new dimension! I want to see the finished product on these!! When you finish one you need to post this pic above with the finished product!!!:35:

Back