Forged Bowie w/ koa...

J. Doyle

Dealer - Purveyor
Here's a bowie I'm planning on bringing to Blade. This is just a really nice size, I think.

Specs:
Hand forged from 1095 steel, 'No-Clay' polished hamon
13 1/4" overall, 8 1/2" blade, .200" at the ricasso w/ full distal taper
Clip is *just* shy of sharp
Heavily rounded spine and ricasso
Fluted damascus guard and damascus collar
Coined copper spacers
Stabilized Koa handle
Damascus bolt cover

All comments and discussion welcome.

Here I'm trying to show the hamon. It's not as boring as it seems at first glance. All kinds of little strictures in the main transition line. You can also barely see all the banding above the main line. I really have trouble capturing the detail in these polished blades.

Last edited:
Thanks DeMo. I went with a slightly 'less is more' theme on this. I really like this one. Just enough to be eye catching but very subtle.

Another winner in my book John, although the hamon is not as at first striking as some of the clay quenched ones I have seen from you, you are right in the last picture when you zoom in I can see more little subtle activity not noticeable in the first pics. Well done.

Thanks guys.

Justin- yeah, that's what I was getting at. I can take decent pics of the knives, I guess....I mean, I'm no pro photographer by any means, but my pics are clear and show the details well.

But capturing the subtle details in hamons, especially bright polished ones.....I just can't get the hang of it. And it's not like I haven't tried. There's a reason the pro photographers are pros. :)

The area above the main line is completely full of banding and it makes a really cool pattern and there's all kinds of more subtle stuff going on in the main line. It's much easier to see and much nicer in person. But it still isn't the most dramatic hamon.......it's just cooler than it looks in the pics.

Back