Are all the Radio Shack's gone?

Self Made Knives

I was looking to buy some more ferric chloride to do some copper etching experiments without tainting the batch I use for knives. I use to get it at Radio Shack, but they've all closed around here. Where are you guys finding it now?

I guess I was just hoping it was available locally, I get sick of paying shipping on everything. Thought maybe it was used in some other process and might be in other stores too.

I hear you on shipping. Amazon Prime is worth every penny if you use it. I order so much on Amazon that the free shipping pays me back the $100 Prime membership fee many times over during the year.

Most of them are closed around here too, and anymore, the ones that are still open are just glorified cell phone stores.

I will 2nd the suggestion for Amazon Prime though. Between the music, tv, movies, and most of all the free 2 day shipping, it's been worth every penny for the wife and I. Many things are available cheaper on Amazon to begin with, and being able to get it in a day or two is icing on the cake.

I will 2nd the suggestion for Amazon Prime though. Between the music, tv, movies, and most of all the free 2 day shipping, it's been worth every penny for the wife and I. Many things are available cheaper on Amazon to begin with, and being able to get it in a day or two is icing on the cake.

Amazon has been a fantastic resource for me for several items you'd never expect. The craziest stuff- that for some reason is hard to find on knife supply sites like 1/4" brass tube for lanyard tubes, pin stock, kydex, rubber backing material, etc. I suppose these things have no real margin, so it doesn't pay for a small knife supply company to stock them because they aren't worth the shelf space or the time it takes for inventory management. Amazon is just a pass-through portal for companies that manufacture this stuff in bulk so they can live on the tiny processing fee they get for the pass-through sale. It's free money...pennies from heaven trickling into the revenue stream.

If I was a knife supply house, I think I'd eliminate every skew that doesn't have a 30% margin and instead partner up and act as a pass-through for those same companies that sell on Amazon.

But anyhoo, like you say- Prime is a must have in my opinion.

Back