Welding Gloves....learned something new today!

EdCaffreyMS

"The Montana Bladesmith"
Maybe other know this, but its new to me, so thought I would share. Doing most of my work via the Forge, I go through a lot of welding gloves, and since I swing a hammer with my right hand, I only wear a glove on my left hand. This means that I go through left handed gloves quickly....and have this pile of unused right hand welding gloves sitting on the bench.

Today I stopped by my local welding supply store, with the intent of buying a couple new pair of welding gloves...knowing that I'd only use the left hand one. I grabbed a couple of pair, and just happened to say to the clerk.... "Wish I could just buy the left hand ones!" He said "You can!" He took me in the back and showed me a shelf full of nothing but left hand welding gloves! WOOT! For the price of 2 pair of the normal welding gloves I buy, I got 8 new left hand gloves! Maybe this is something "everyone" knows, but it was news to me....and happy news at that! :)

Yep! The pairs that I intended to buy were $14.50 per pair, and the left hand gloves were $4 each...so a tad more then 1/4 the price....but still, not having to pay for right handed gloves that I'd never use....... :)

Never thought of doing that, but I will admit to having tried to find another Bladesmith/Blacksmith who is left handed.....hoping I could trade a pile of right handed gloves, for a pile of left handed one! :)

Back