Steel Asphalt cutting blade for knife making question

ACLakey

I was given around a dozen of these PR Diamond Asphalt cutting blades and would like to use them for knife making stock. Each blade measures just under 18" in diameter and are .125" thick. I called the company and they told me they were high speed tool steel with molybdenum but didn't have any more information than that. Would these blades be a good material for making knifes? Anything I should consider or processes I need to consider? Thanks for the time.

0421161221[1].jpg

ACL, you could make a useable knifes out them but without knowing the exact type of HS steel you are guessing on heat treating, edge holding, and corrosion resistance, just to name a few. I personally would not use them and would pick up some good carbon steel such as 1084 or 52100 that can be heat treated with a torch and oil quench, unless you have a furnace or gas forge, which opens you up to a wide range of tool steels. It is also easier to start with bar stock that is closer to your finished shape than trying to cut out blade shapes from a circle. I get the idea though and I still have a hard time throwing away old saw blades LOL.

Back